The Foxhole Court, by Nora Sakavic

spacestationtrustfund's review against another edition

It's interesting thinking about this series again. I was probably amongst the first couple hundred people to read the books after they were published, and definitely one of the first several dozen who got involved in fan communities; I remember when Sakavic regularly answered fan questions and otherwise interacted directly with fans. Anyway, in terms of the actual book... it feels like it was very cathartic for Sakavic to write,* and I have a lot of respect for that. Self-publication generally** means a lesser standard of editing than traditional publication, but in this series, it didn't show. It's a series that deals with very dark topics while managing not to become overly dark in and of itself.

The main issues I had with this book (and, broadly, the series) were the pacing, the racism (there's a difference between characters' racism and a frankly ridiculous amount of unnecessary racist shit), and the inconsistent gravitas of Exy (it's no small feat to invent an entire sport! I understand that, but I also think the focus shifted too much between having the sport as the primary driving motivation versus having the characters' interpersonal relationships as the same).

*I mean, I know it was.
**This is a generalised oversimplification, obviously.

ETA: I think this review makes a lot of salient points.

fonika's review against another edition

dark emotional tense medium-paced

maybeillreadtoday's review against another edition

i love u neil josten. my little idiot baby <3

olivrhn's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring medium-paced

sarahwolff's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

helen_wlm's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

karokjeldgaard's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny relaxing tense fast-paced

ellewarwick's review against another edition

ideal for the people in the middle of a venn diagram of sports anime stans, former emo kids, the gays and fans of “the raven cycle”

sophia_she1's review

it was ok but hard o follow, won't be finishing the series

cindeereads's review against another edition

I really loved this book sports are not usually my thing but I really liked how it was written in this book. I really liked the characters they were all pretty interesting in their own ways. I especially liked Neil he was a very interesting and very wary because of what he has been running from for a long time. The other characters are interesting as well Andrew is interesting in his own crazy way as are the rest of the team. This story has a lot of strife but it never gets tiring I am looking forward to reading more. I may look for more sport based books with other elements and read more books like this.