Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline

bwilsxo's review against another edition

Wow. What a book! If you’re a fan of not-so-distant-future worlds and the 80’s, this book is for you! This was probably the most detailed book I’ve ever read. It’s a long one, but totally worth the time! The only reason I’m giving it 4/5 is because I felt like the ending was rushed and a bit of an after thought as compared to the rest of the book.

sdriscoll05's review against another edition

So unexpectedly good! I've been trying to ignore this book for a few years now, mostly because it's supposedly all about 80's nostalgia and video games. Two things that I have no interest in, but the weird thing is, it's EXACTLY all about video games and 80's nostalgia, and yet manages to be so much more then that. This book touches on so many life aspects that I wish it would have taken a closer look at...like how it can't possibly be okay to spend the majority of your life inside an online gaming system. But I suppose that's sort of the point, these characters have no connection to the real world because the real world hasn't treated them very we'll. I became totally engrossed with the main character, Wade, and I kept cheering him on through all of the different quests, even if I did t exactly know what the hell any of the games are. This is at heart, a story about friendship and about competition, good versus evil and how to forge a place in this world that matters (even if that world is one that you have to sign into.)

duchessmerry's review against another edition

I absolutely loved this one which surprises me since my hubby and I typically don't like the same stories. There have been a few but since this was a tech based story, I definitely didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did. I looked forward to discovering what would happen next each time I picked up the book.

Give this one a chance even if it is something you might have passed up. For me it was worth it.

bibliofiendlm's review against another edition

In this futuristic debut from Ernest Cline, the world is a vastly different place. Taking place in 2044, reality has degrated into a delapedated dystopian society. Protagonist Wade Watts is essentially an orphan living in the slums of Oklahoma City. His one escape is when he's jacked in the the virtual utopia know to users as the OASIS. With no other prospects, Wade has devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines as left behind by virtual creator James Halliday. The player who successfully navigates these puzzles based on Halliday's obsession with pop cultures references to decades past will discover his hidden Easter Egg and inherit the keys to a priceless empire.

Full review here: http://tinyurl.com/onns95p

coewless's review against another edition

This book is amazing!

I was a little hesitant at first because of all the 80's game and movie references (because I know like zero of them!) but the story it self is so amazing and action packed. I also fell in love with the characters. One of my favorite books of 2016 for sure!

dellixson's review against another edition

I struggled with the introduction and the first two chapters of this book. I’m glad I persevered, though, because when the book caught my attention, it caught it fast. For me, the most intriguing part of this book is that as far-fetched as the plot seems at times, it is completely within the realm of possibility in the next few decades.

boocmarc79's review against another edition

What a geeky confection! This was a delightful read and a love song to nerds everywhere. It has a nostalgic whimsy akin to classic family films ('The Goonies', 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'), where the underdog not only gets a chance to thrive above his self doubt, but also to see the value of the world around him.

paulina_papaya's review against another edition

Zery najs

zagoraca's review against another edition

Wow I put this book off for YEARS. Why?
Absolutely wonderful! Totally lived up to the hype.

bookishnik's review against another edition

Ready Player One was a great read. At the start of the novel, set sometime in the near future, a recluse gaming multi-billionaire has left his fans the ultimate game, one that will reward the winner his estate. The story centers around a young gamer, Wade, still in high school. From the beginning I wanted to follow Wade through his journey in the attempt to find the "Easter egg". I loved all the references to the '80s pop culture and was reminded how far we have already come from the days of my youth. The storyline was pretty solid and there were a few unpredictable twists throughout. I'd recommend this book to anyone who has even a remote interest in technology along with those who enjoy reading dystopia.