Reviews for Sal and Gabi Break the Universe, by Carlos Hernandez

aydotjaydot's review against another edition

This was a much sweeter read than I expected. Both Sal and Gabi are A LOT as kids, but it was so lovely to see smart, interested kids being so supported and so loved. I also really enjoyed the behavior modeling going on in terms of emotional honesty and openness. This was super cute and fun.

aavandam's review

lindsayb's review against another edition

Well, that was delightful--I would expect no less from Carlos Hernandez. Great on audio as well.

jackielizn's review against another edition

I loved this book so much! I think it is safe to say, even with it being the beginning of March, that this book is going to go down as one of my favorites of the year!

Sal and Gabi are both amazing characters. I felt a particular fondness for Sal, since I am a diabetic also. Even though Sal is a Type 1 Diabetic and I'm a Type 2, it was nice to see some diabetic representation in this book. Sal and Gabi are both amazing role models. We could all learn a little something from them.

One of my favorite quotes from this book was, "Emotional literally changes your eyesight. I would have to remember that."

This book was such a nice surprise in so many ways. There were so many things that I loved about this book:
*I found myself laughing out loud numerous times.
*I never would have imagined that the bully we met at the beginning of the book would be one of the many characters I loved by the end of the book.
*The teenagers in this story are all dealing with very real real-life issues that were all handled very well.
*Culeco Academy of the Arts, the school in this book, was absolutely amazing! The teachers, the classes, even detention! There needs to be schools like this all over the country!
*I love the diversity and representation in this book. One of my favorite aspects was all of the Gabi Dads.
*Speaking of the Gabi Dads, the adults in this book were pretty amazing too. They were so supportive and loving. Papi, American Stepmom, and Mrs. Reál were my favorites.
*I love the Cuban culture!

My heart is so full after reading this book and I am already looking forward to the next one!

*I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

candidceillie's review against another edition

Read my full review here!

minitoblerowl's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring medium-paced

lillanaa's review against another edition

I don't know why I kept passing this one up, it's probably one of my new favourites in the collection! Leaning more science fiction than fantasy, harkening on the idea of an infinite reality, this book is... Genuinely just fun. There's no world ending event, the "threats" here are surface level, and it just works.

This leaves room for the characters to just play in the space, and man are there a lot of great characters. Sal and Gabi make for extremely interesting protagonists, and although a lot of the other characters have some heavy absurdity to them they all make sense in this kind of a story. Yasmany stuck out to me as a really, really cool character despite a rocky start, and I'm excited because it sounds like he's going to be in the sequel.

I was looking for something fun and chill to read, and this didn't disappoint. I'm glad that there's at least one kids adventure book out there that doesn't feel like the apocalypse is going to start just because.

eli05's review

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

renee7995's review against another edition

I read this for Middle Grade March & the Booktube SFF Awards. This was a really cute book with some really great characters. Overall, I gave this 4.25/5 stars (rounded down to 4/5 stars)!

frecklesandstories's review against another edition

This book made me laugh out loud many times and it’s made me feel warm inside.