All-American Girl, by Meg Cabot

anthroxagorus's review

Second read through, first time in... middle school? High school?

Anyways, it was still lots of fun to read. Similar themes and ideas as in The Princess Diaries, but who cares? It's so much fun! I am eternally grateful that Meg Cabot exists and hope this next generation gets to read her books.

delprenr's review against another edition

This was one of my favorite books growing up- I remember reading it several times. It doesn't really hold up well 14 years later in my opinion.

teenage_reads's review against another edition

It’s not every day you save the president. This is exactly what our main girl Samantha Madison did. Samantha middle child of the popular cheerleader Lucy, and her genius little sister Rebecca. With that Samantha took her one passion to the extreme. Art. Because of that she was sent off to art classes. With that she started too resented (helped by Lucy’s boyfriend) the art teacher Susan Boone. For that she skipped class one day where out of nowhere she manages to save the president of the United States for a bullet. With that her life takes a turn for the good and the worst.

Her hatred for Susan Boone was a little bit much. Like really? You cannot handle people dissing your work? And (although she thought it was stumping her imagination) even I the reader understood what Susan was talking about drawing what you see. For that it put a label on Sam saying “Drama Queen” which is not a good look for the person you’re supposed to love.

Yet like all other teen books there has to be a guy. This guy David who she meets in her art class. Soon this ‘guy’ turns out to be the most important thing in her life. As you see their drama unfolded Sam learns what love is, and has to let her feelings go for a certain boy who she been dreaming about.

This is a nice quick vacation read. With not a lot of concentration to read it, and only being 247 pages, I suggest it to middle school girls, or anyone who wants to read a book with a happy ending. With that Meg Cabot once again gives us an easy quick read that leaves a happy feeling when you are done.

hannahnesbat's review against another edition

Ugh, this was my favorite book from ages twelve to fifteen, foreshadowing a later love for The West Wing and all things American First Family.

Sam Madison accidentally saves the President's life and becomes a national hero -- but all she wants to do is go to art class and obsess more over Gwen Stefani. I love an obsessive heroine and a good there-all-along love story (enter David, President's son).

I love Sam. I love that she is so single-mindedly devoted to drawing, Gwen, and baguette-lady's baguettes. I love her obliviousness to her own celebrity and the ways in which she speaks truth to power. I love her weird family and especially her precocious little sister (I still credit this book with my understanding of the word "frisson" which is, like a major plot point here).

ALL AMERICAN GIRL is Cabot at her best -- funny and thrilling in a daydreamy way.

tenasha_x's review against another edition

I absolutely love all of Meg Cabot's books, and All-American Girl was no exception! I loved Samantha, she was different, quirky and I found her funny! And i fell in love with David, he was gorgeous, and I just found the whole plot interesting and well written!

kristenbooks's review against another edition

I first read this when I was in elementary school, and for some reason, this book completely latched onto me, and I've read it countless times since. The characters are just so much fun, and I absolutely love Sam's voice. It's a romance, but it's so much more, and so not cheesy. It's unique and cool, and I still love it all these years later.

9.5/10. (5/5)

aofa's review

lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

christy's review

A bit shallow but an overall easy and cute read, but I don't feel compelled to read the book's sequel anytime soon.

libraryowl's review against another edition

This is a teen novel that my daughter lent me when I forgot a book. I loved it. It was a quick read and a lot of fun. The main character, Sam, saves the president. Then her life is turned upside down with attention from many people, when she just enjoys being in the shadows. Even the president's son has noticed her. She strives to stay normal and stand up for her values while trying to please others at the same time. Her top ten reasons lists were a lot of fun and gave me a few good laughs. I recommend this to moms and teens alike!

yanipanini's review against another edition

*3 stars*

I had such a great time reading this book: a fun, light read--nothing too heavy, or super smart (though I did enjoy the politics and random facts thrown in). I enjoyed the awkward voice the main character, Sam, had as it made things much more hilarious. The characters were great, especially Rebecca, whose frisson theory had me smiling and cracking up several times, although I did find myself quite irritated with Jack, Sam's "soul mate" (gag gag puke puke). David, though, is a whole different story. I can't quite make up mind about what I think of him as a character. He is sweet and cute, yes, but other than that, nothing really comes to mind. And I don't know if you could count his relationship with Sam as insta-love (i think it is, really) but I don't like it. It was just too skin-deep, for me.

If you want something that's fun, light-hearted and entertaining, if you enjoy reading lists (like I do), then definitely pick this book up.