Beach Read, by Emily Henry

jess_yasmyn's review

emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

csryann's review

I put it down for too long and started reading other things. I’ll have to start from the beginning again

esther_talbdt's review

lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

Beach Read is overall an easily read and enjoyable story. The characters have a story of their own which gives them more dimension. I felt this book made me physically smile a lot when going through it which ultimately is a very pleasant experience. The lesson the book gives is one I connect with:
Spoilerthe whole "happy for now" idea was very heart warming and honestly a good reminder that to worry about tomorrow is to remove beauty from today and that as long as in the present time you are happy, why worry about what might happen to make you unhappy (in the context of romantic love especially).
However, I found that some of January and Gus' romance was cliché and occurred slightly too easily,
SpoilerI mean how has he married someone when he supposedly was 'pining for her since the beginning' aka for more than 7 years.
I also did have a slight discomfort surrounding January's supposedly literary fiction story about a circus, I don't know if it's because much effort wasn't poured in making the reader connect with her book idea or if just i'm not moved by the plot she develops. I liked the New Eden story line a bit better although
Spoilerthe fact that the characters set up a tent and had a love revelation so close to the site was slightly eyebrow raising.
All in all, Beach Read ends on a lovely reminder and lesson about what to expect of life and of the people you love (romantic, familial) but also at the same time creates a slightly unrealistic romance. That said, i still consider it one of the good ones in the genre because as explained well by the main character of this book, it provides escapism and makes readers feel nice whilst reading.

cathik's review

Ahhhh this was so so soooo good! I loved every second of this. Normally I am not the biggest fan of rom-coms. I never find them funny. But this one was perfect. The characters were great. Their feelings were relatable. The tension and falling in love was so perfect. If you like feel good romances you need to read this one

beckysbooks's review

emotional lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

Cute, predictable, goooood.

bohdanqa's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing fast-paced

sydneyluxford's review

emotional funny lighthearted relaxing sad medium-paced

This book was so good.

However, I did find the beginning hard to get into and it took me a couple of tries. Once I got into it, I could barely put it down.

This book felt so real and that’s what I loved about it. The characters both had things they were struggling with and I loved how they helped each other over them and grow.

I liked how this book didn’t just show January’s relationship with Augustus, but also her relationship with her father.

rosie505's review against another edition

hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

amnacarstairs's review

challenging emotional funny hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

annechambers's review