American Street, by Ibi Zoboi

bookishsami's review against another edition

RATING - 5 STARS

wow.

quoththeravenclaw's review against another edition

Oh, boy.

This story was heavy. It took me 9 days to get through it, not because the text was particularly dense, or the book had a hefty page count, or any of that. I just couldn't read a whole lot at once, because it was dark. It was sad. It was frustrating.

It was important.

bookswhitme's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced

librarianna's review against another edition

OMG READ THIS.

readunderthestars23's review against another edition

I don't usually love magical realism and this unfortunately wasn't an exception.

I did like the characters, well some of them, and I wanted to know how the story would end.

I did like reading about immigration and really felt for these characters. Again, some not all.

chelseadjbowen's review against another edition

At first I was put off by the language and topics for a YA book but the more I read, the more I realized that plenty of America's YA would recognize these characters, speech, and topics.
The writing style is unique.

gracelian's review against another edition

challenging dark reflective sad tense slow-paced

dewey7962's review against another edition

Fabiola came to the United States with her mother from Haiti, planning to move to Detroit and live with her aunt and cousins. When they arrive in the United States, however, Fabiola's mother is detained by immigration, and Fabiola is forced to continue on to Detroit alone. Once there, she pushes tirelessly to find a way to free her mother, even as she adjusts to life in the United States, making friends and even getting a boyfriend. Sadly, however comfortable she may start to feel, Detroit is different from Haiti in ways she couldn't expect, and there are things about her new life she couldn't possibly understand. When Fabiola gets in over her head in her quest to get her mother to Detroit, will she be able to find her footing and make things right? Or will her new life be forever altered?

I've been putting off writing this review for a long time because while there were things I really enjoyed about the book, it also had some pretty big flaws, and I wasn't sure what to say about it. The one big issue I struggled with was that it tried to do a lot and consequently lacked character and plot development and seemed to lose the thread of different storylines partway through, then pick back up later in ways that didn't quite connect to me. Possibly the biggest example of this, for me anyway, was Fab's relationship with her boyfriend...there just wasn't enough buildup to the relationship for any of the interactions between the two of them to hold any impact, and a lot of the tension in their relationship made no sense to me and seemed over-the-top as a result. I wish some of the branches in the plot had been pared down, because despite doing way too much, it was a good read, and the world needs more titles like this one. Ultimately, while this wasn't my favorite book, I did enjoy it, and I recommend picking it up if you're looking for something new to read. If you're an audiobook fan, the narrator did a fantastic job--it's definitely worth a listen.

taylerwashington's review against another edition

Amazed. Enthralled. Shocked. All words to describe how I feel after reading this book. Zoboi did a phenomenal job with this piece, I can’t wait to read her next novel.

thebookworm_queen's review against another edition

4.5 but I’m rounding up to 5

“I’m broken hearted & frustrated, why don’t they understand!”
-Me after the first chapter

Heartbreaking from beginning to end, but the journey told in American Street is one that most definitely needs to be heard/read. It gave me an inside look of coming to America; of dealing with ICE, the separation between a mother and a daughter, that desperate desire to get your mother back. I read about being subjected to ridicule for being different; for your accent, your religion, your taste, your culture. It was so much, but it was a POV that I never read before, I only wish I had read this sooner.