Poetry Comics by Grant Snider

sandsing7's review

lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

dogtrax's review

hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective slow-paced

Lovely comics and poems that can inspire you to write your own

abeckett's review

lighthearted reflective fast-paced

ninahuynh's review

adventurous reflective fast-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A

This is a nice poetry book in the form of a graphic novel/comic. It may be labeled under Children’s, but adults can benefit from its reflections, as well. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will seek out other works from Grant Snider! Many people think poetry to be complex and overly complicated or just random words tossed onto the page and organized is some fancy way and called it a day, but really, it doesn’t have to be that way.

This is an ARC read obtained from NetGalley. Everything in this review is honest and my words. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to read and review such a beautiful book.

rachjellie's review

hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

sydnec's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing medium-paced

malgosiareads's review against another edition

funny inspiring

Poetry is close to my heart because simple words can touch such fundamental topics and move sometimes a scaled heart. This time, I decided to take upon the book to add two elements to poetry, I would never think about: children's book and graphic novel/comic book. In its simplicity, the author underlines the simple moments of childhood, and the mindfulness of it, and brings charm to mundane tasks through the words and graphics. I love the drawings. Their colors and message helped to understand sometimes complex words. The poetry on its own had an impact and made me think after every page about the essence of life. The whole book is divided into 4 parts to represent each calendar season. For each season, we also get a bonus tip on how to write poetry.

Overall, the book is not only for children but easy to be an amazing gift for an adult who are looking for something to practice their mindfulness and connect to their inner child during their therapeutic journey.

readsforlove's review

This was cute, short, and sweet, but lacked the depth I've come to know and love from Snider's comics. I've followed his work for a while, so went in with high expectations about comics that explored the meaning of life and creativity in very tangible, kid friendly, and wholesome ways. There were a few comics smattered throughout that really made me sit back and think, but most of it felt like fluff to me. Would make a nice coffee table book but was not super a deep read.

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC!

therearenobadbooks's review against another edition

inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing medium-paced

5 plus
I love this. Each page has a comic with panels that tell a poem/story and it's divided into four chapters, four seasons. I love the one that is to be like a tree, and the ones about worries, and anxiety, the imagination, the dreaming, and the about pretending to be a snail. But I also the Summer and the ones about having fun, enjoying nature, and letting the poetry come from the surroundings to welcome us. I loved all seasons and so many episodes are so relatable, not only to young readers. It's a great book to collect and gift.
Each page could make an awesome motivational and inspirational poster.
Thank you, publisher and Netgalley for this e-arc.

annebey's review

This book would be perfect for teaching poetry in school! I'm honestly tempted to get a copy for my class room when it comes out, but I think it might be a bit above my students skill level.