The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak

philyra91's review against another edition

I'll admit, when I first started this book, it went really slow for me and despite my friend's recommendations, I was starting to doubt that this was going to be a good book. How wrong I was. I cried like a baby towards the ending. Having studied world history in secondary school and researched on the Holocaust itself, I am well aware of German atrocities against the Jews. The fact that human beings could do such horrible things to others of their kind still eludes me. To read this book and learn that there were still, fictional and otherwise, Germans who, against all odds, helped save Jews, gives me hope and doesn't make me feel so sad about the war.

I was deeply saddened by the ending, where Liesel's foster parents, best friend Rudy and his entire family, were killed in an air raid. Even though Death had warned that Rudy was going to die, I felt that it was so unjustified that such good people would die like that.

I was so happy to read that Liesel and Max were later reunited. Their friendship was so enduring and it really gave the story its backbone.

I liked that Death was the narrator. We get to see that he isn't entirely callous. There is a kindness to him. He talks about carrying children in his arms and at the ending, where Rudy's family is killed, he talks about kissing the young children. I think that was when I just started bawling.

Death's last line, "I am haunted by humans", was just so powerful and poetic. Human beings are capable of such cruelty and brutality but they're capable of such love and kindness and endurance in the face of adversity as well and this book really showed that. I'm really glad I got to read this and my only regret was that I didn't start the book a lot earlier.

moira's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

TEAH YEAH YEAH I FINISHED IT but will i write about it? no

maricat12's review against another edition

I just finished this book and it was absolutely amazing. The way Marcus writes is so amazing and beautiful it took my breath away. The concept behind the story is so beautiful and heartwarming. The main character Liesel is an amazing character that I truly sympathized with. My favourite characters definitely have to be Hans, Max and Rudy. Hans was such a sweet man, he taught Liesel how to write and read. He went through so much in his life yet he always tried to make other people's lives better. Max was so amazing, I loved the relationship Liesel had with all three of those characters. Despite all Max had gone through he had this beautiful connection with Liesel. I loved the original idea of having Death narrate the story. I felt it was truly inspiring, and I loved that Marcus was able to interpret the different things that were happening and people's different perspectives. Death is throughout the novel and I think it went together beautifully. This book is definitely one of my favourites, it honestly made me cry and it made me look at the world and people in a completely different way. I absolutely love all the characters! Even so, at some points the book was a little slow but that honestly changed nothing because it was so beautiful it honestly caught up very quickly. Also I love Marcus's writing and his metaphors. His writing is truly inspiring and this story will truly stay in my heart forever. Its so heartwarming yet heart braking. The end is so heart braking but I am so glad that Liesel grew up and enjoyed her life with her children and husband. The characters really grew on me, I felt like I knew what they were going through and at times I felt like I was there with them when Liesel was reading in the basement. I cannot put this book into one word except Perfection. Marcus Zusak is absolutely amazing and I'm so glad I came across this book. It was absolutely beautiful!!!

joanthesiren's review against another edition

I was wondering from the beginning of the last part, why everyone says this is emotionally destroying book. I was expecting that Lizel parents will be a horrible people, so this plot was a nice surprise, especially Max.

hailey_baughman's review

emotional medium-paced

sofiailinca's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional informative sad tense medium-paced

sci_mom's review against another edition

This book was very well-written and very sad. I loved the way the author expressed how words 'acted' throughout the book. That was powerful and appropriate to the story. It was a different way of telling a story about Germany at the advent of WWII than I have previously encountered and I appreciated the difference.

booksmjc's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional informative reflective sad slow-paced

ankelsocks's review against another edition

I cried a lot and then cried some more. I liked the narrative perspective a lot, too.

msrandomstuff_01's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective sad tense medium-paced