Second Nature, by Jae

efratmaor's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted mysterious tense medium-paced

What a fun book with great urban fantasy world building.

raven9949's review against another edition

Very cute and fast read... though I was expecting a little more? I feel like their real chemistry got lost somewhere in the middle and then it was kind of Luke warm by the end. As for the actual sex scenes they felt very disjointed and mild? Idk I’d still count it as a sweet story... just very lemony

josb's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense medium-paced

Rounding down for the inconsistency in which the Shapeshifter's sensitive hearing worked.

A well-written novel that holds up pretty well despite it's older publish date. It is a Jae book so lots of stuff happen even if it is not always full of high adrenaline scenes. The lore and how it was presented felt like it was written for the average paranormal reader. I had to work to decipher the aspects of the shapeshifter society before they were revealed to me, and I tend to find that is half the fun. How well the writer can convey depth without saying it outright is one of my favorite parts of any fantasy novel.

My two biggest complaints about the novel were that the main characters felt a little too similar. It does not have those two strong and distinct voices that Jae's newer novels do very well. The other complaint is that the shapeshifters could hear very well but sometimes their lack of hearing allowed other people to sneak up on them or mishear conversations. I would have liked either more explanation or consistency to tighten this part up.

Otherwise, it was a decent paranormal novel that would be a great intro for new readers looking to get into Jae's books. If you are an avid reader of Jae this probably won't replace your favorite "Jae book" but it was a decent read with lots of discussions of boundaries and communication.

rickosborne's review

adventurous mysterious tense slow-paced

While this is definitely a departure from Jae's usual contemporary romance (vanilla) fare, I mostly enjoyed it.  The slow burn chemistry between the leads was well done and well earned.

I'm not a big fan of large cast, political intrigue, or pack/pride/dominance/power stuff, but if you enjoy those from other shifter books, this will likely be your jam.

The narration from Abby Craden is amazing, as always.

Sex:
Spoilerone brief soft-R-rated scene

Tags: #CulturalDifferences #GayForYou #HiddenIdentity #MultiplePOV #Mystery #Politics #SecretsAndBetrayal #ShapeShifters #ThirdPersonPOV.

CW/TW: brief scenes with graphic shifter violence and mentions of blood.

ileana1's review

This was just a little bit too slow for me. I liked the characters, but I wished the book was moving a little faster and felt like the slow pace didn't necessarily add much to the experience. DNF at around 50%; I put it down months ago and just never picked it back up.

warmus's review

Great storytelling by an awesome author! The length of the book was a little intimidating because regardless of how good or bad a story is once I commit to a book, I'm committed. (my current course load included). However, trying to mesh a slow burn romance with the dynamics of a shape-shifting/human culture needs to extend beyond a typical novel that contains 80,000 – 120,000 words. From a character perspective, I loved Griffin and Jorie's laid-back chemistry, minus the whole assassin theme. In addition, the interaction between Griffin, Jorie, and the supporting characters makes me wonder about the possibility of a real, secretive shape-shifting species co-existing in today's society. Despite the thoroughness of the main plot, I wish there were more scenes with Griffin and Jorie as a couple. The ending felt rushed. It's obvious they care for each other, but as a slow burn romance, the ending of the story could have used a heavier dose of sensuality. I haven't read any of the other stories in the series; so, I hope they include more of Griffin and Jorie as a couple. Overall, this is an awesome story despite the lackluster ending.

jmontg18's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense medium-paced

__shaked's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny slow-paced

thosemedalingkids's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

Michigan UP!! Pasties!!

Tiger and wolf shifters, an author and a shifter sent to kill her. This was mysterious and fun. The random Michigan stuff was also fun, but not really accurate for the Yoop. Still fun! First time is during the epilogue, not steamy and more plot focused.

caroldavid's review against another edition

Good book. It’s leading characters have a great chemistry and the development of their relationship has a good pace. Another thing I enjoyed about the book is how well Jae managed to world around them (Wasa culture and Wasa history) while still having a well paced plot and story. All in all a good book that reminded me of the joy of reading paranormal stories.