Rising Like a Storm, by Tanaz Bhathena

sapphothegreat's review against another edition

I'm shook. Woah.

cakt1991's review

adventurous medium-paced

Rising Like a Storm is a wonderful conclusion to the Wrath of Ambar duology. I love that it really builds on the world introduced in the first book, and adds new stakes to challenge the characters.

I loved seeing the relationship between Gul and Cavas develop. I loved seeing them growing stronger in their magical connection, as well as their emotional one, even as they found themselves separated and them once again having to navigate a harsh new regime.

I loved getting insight into Shayla’s head. Outwardly, she’s very confident and projects that well early on. But with failure comes self-doubt, and I loved seeing that transition as her insecurities began to manifest.

I enjoyed this duology, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a rich, Indian-inspired fantasy.

ralexist's review

adventurous emotional hopeful medium-paced

mrsbofe's review against another edition

This book was amazing and beautiful in so many ways! I love how the reader gets to dive right back into the series close to where we left off. There are so many magical and fantastic parts to this book! The world-building is by far one of my favorite parts, the author does a lovely job of setting the scenes and building on that. Gul and Cavas are wonderful, they're growth throughout this series is amazing. I love the side characters and the depth of each of the main characters, you really get to sense who they are and what they've gone through and it's wonderful. Even with knowing their flaws they grow throughout the books and it's a magical book with action, adventure, romance, and heart! This is a book for anyone who wants a great story with gorgeous settings and unforgettable characters!

Thanks to NetGalley & Edelweiss for the ARCs!!

herbookish_obsession's review against another edition

The last and final book in Tanaz Bhathena’s The Wrath of Ambar series follows Gul and Cavas as they learn more about their magical connections and plan their fight against the new queen. The story starts about a month after the last one ended, and their relationship has already changed. I took some time to warm up to Gul and Cavas again.

I still believed in them individually as well as together, and their combined magic was fascinating to observe. They are both mentally strong and loyal people, but one seemed to drown in his own desire for revenge while the other was consumed by her fear of killing innocents.

Despite the fact that most of the time they are apart, I still felt they weren’t explored enough. However, the separation also enabled them to fight harder for their survival and to start believing in one another more, which I really liked, so I guess that was perfect for the plot.

Ultimately, I thought this was a satisfying conclusion to this duology, with nicely-tied up storylines and foreshadowing of the climax that made it feel more satisfying.

There were a lot of exciting set pieces and great character moments in this series, making it a duology I would recommend – especially if you’re looking for a POC-written chosen one story.

lonevixen_ka's review against another edition

My first thought after reading this book: WHERE ARE THE BLOODY FANARTS?!

Rising Like A Storm was the one star, Hunted By The Sky fell short of for a perfect 5-star rating, and a thousand more stars after that. It was everything I wanted from The Wrath of Ambar duology and more! Gul and Cavas are officially one of my favorite fantasy couples, Kali, Juhi, Amira and Shayla (yes, even the nasty villain) can step on me, Subodh has my reverence as much as Chiron and All Hail Raja Amar!

I still remember the way I signed off my review of Hunted by the Sky, saying how now that the world building was done and the characters introduced, I'd like Tanaz to build the plot in a smooth way and she did that! What more, she built the world even more and developed her characters even more intricately and maturely.

The telepathic bond between Gul and Cavas, and the Neel-Sunehri parallel was oh, so beautiful, I just can't. The ship-building has my heart. But despite that, I think we could've had a more intense love triangle with Amar in the midst. Speaking of which, Amar may not have had relatively extraordinary scenes but we, and all the characters, still end up bowing to him, which I think is a mark of very good writing. Gul reminded me so much of Alina Starkov, though a little more badass and I wish I could just give Cavas a big hug. They really do complete each other and it is so much more than just young love god, I might just swoon over them and die. Amira, Juhi and Kali were as expected, goddesses and Sami also steals hearts! Even Shayla's chapters were nail-biting and she was the perfect villain.

This South-Asian representation of women made me so so happy. The themes of xenophobia and politics, and many other tropes are not something new, but the book is just so smooth and beautiful, it's a welcome respite for anyone looking to read SOMETHING REALLY GOOD!

Kudos Tanaz! I'm so sad that the duology is over though aaahhh :(

hanee's review against another edition

adventurous challenging hopeful sad tense medium-paced

yvonne_cl's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

decklededgess's review

trigger warnings: rape and sexual assault mention, child sexual assault mention, sexism and misogyny, war/violence and gore, kidnapping and torture, sex and contraceptives mention, death of parent mention

You can read my full review here: https://wp.me/pc0bPj-ho