Neon Gods, by Katee Robert

seventannie's review

I wanted to read a Persephone x Hades retelling for a long time and this was exactly what I needed.

Hades is broody, calm and pulled together and Persephone is a sunbeam with an interesting twist.

Going into this, I thought it was going to be way spicier, and I was a little preoccupied. Instead, it was the perfect mix of plot, tension and, well, steamy scenes. And the cuteness!! My heart almost gave out in the scene where Hades buys the puppies

gyroidd's review

adventurous fast-paced

jazminatondo's review

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

emilyschroder1's review

dark emotional lighthearted tense medium-paced

abrianna_reads's review

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious fast-paced

kaleandswords's review

nichollinlove's review against another edition

dark fast-paced

I like Greek Mythology. I like retellings. I like smut even. This book just didn't do it for me. It read too much like a teenagers POV. I almost put it down many times, the biggest reason I didn't was because I was flying through it. It's a quick consumption, a lot of smut, not fantastic writing. Depending on who the reader is, that may or may not matter 😅 Not my jam but definitely is for many others.

elliemoon22's review

adventurous emotional funny mysterious tense medium-paced

punkwonderland's review

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

Amazing, I loved it. As an adult percy jackson fan it fits the bill perfectly. I can't wait for the next book!!

sibia's review

adventurous challenging dark fast-paced

Some spicy sex scenes helped keep the story rolling song, but honestly that was the only standout part for me. Every other chapter (for the most part) alternates between the two main characters, but if the chapters weren’t labeled with the names it would take a sec to determine whose head you’re in. To be honest I didn’t really see much differentiation between the two characters personality-wise. I agree with another reviewer I wish Hades could have been more “bad”. He’s Hades after all!

The world building had so much potential too! But for me I think
Spoiler it was confusing as to whether this is the REAL world or it’s own world. They mention states (I think Ohio and California) and things in our world but they have this whole—I guess—country or society  where they’re ruled by the 13. I was unclear if these “gods” had powers or what. Because people can’t cross the bridge into Hades territory, but is it just the treaty or is it magic (for lack of a better word)? Because when Persephone crossed she felt pressure or resistance on her body and had to push through and Hades couldn’t cross to help her, but later he easily could for her sister. And then there’s the woman who can perfectly mimic people. Is it just mimicry or a power of hers?

Also, what’s up with the names? Hades isn’t really named Hades. Or rather, when he was born he surely had a different name because at that time his father was Hades. He took on the role of Hades after his father died. Just like Persephone was being set up to be the next Hera. Like I said…the world building could have used some work. I have all the questions!!!
In the end, I really wanted more of the world.

Having said all that I’m just a little bit tempted to read the next one when it comes out!