Reviews tagging Blood

Neon Gods, by Katee Robert

midnacine's review

dark tense medium-paced

I much prefer this version of Hades and Persephone over the version in A Touch of Darkness. Unique world building, compelling plot, interesting characters, and excellent spice. I only wish there'd been a little more exposition to really establish the villain as scary and threatening. Looking forward to reading the second one!

dolores_madil's review

dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

anxiousnachos's review

Is this my eighth Katee Robert book of 2022? Yes, yes it is. I regret nothing.

Content warnings: Abuse, Parental death (historical, off-page), assault/attempted assault, explicit sex, guns, blood

things100's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

Amazing book, I love Katee Robert’s books. Can’t wait to read the rest of the series. I loved Persephone and Hades relationship and how we all hate Zeus. Such a cute relationship but full of spice dang 🥵. Have fun reading

erica_reads_things's review

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

Overall a fun read, but I noticed that in the beginning it is VERY reminiscent of 50 Shades of Gray. Like, down to
Spoiler the lip biting, eye rolling, submissive/dom theme, kink room, the "I don't usually let people in my bed" thing, him not letting her touch him because of scars, etc.
. However, it did eventually deviate from that in probably very intentional ways like much more consent, equality, and it had an actually interesting plot that kept me wanting to read and see what happens.

txikimandy's review

dark emotional fast-paced

I read this for a “Rated-R” book club, and I have to say I’m pretty disappointed. The worldbuilding is awful and the writing is subpar at best. It’s full of grammatical errors and “I don’t think this word means what you think it means” errors. The characters are great and I liked the plot well enough, however everything was just not done well enough for me. Particularly in the beginning, the reasons for characters disliking one another were not explored/explained enough, nor was the governmental structure or the rest of the world. We are evidently in a universe where California and Ohio exist (and according to other reviews about this book, Disney villains), but we don’t get any information about how this seemingly magical world fits into our mundane one. If you’re reading for plot or a well-written, fleshed-out story, I do not recommend this book.

The one good thing I can say about Robert’s writing is the characterization. Some of it left more to be desired, like Hades’s perception of what his constituents think of him and why it doesn’t line up with how they actually feel. But overall, Hades and Persephone each had really big character arcs that I felt were well-developed.

Further, to Robert’s credit, she is a really good smut and romance writer. There were some sex scenes that I felt were described unrealistically (for example, a mere two paragraphs until Persephone finishes) or were not long enough, but the vast majority were descriptive, hot, and steamy. The fluffy romance scenes between Hades and Persephone were amazing. I melted every time there was anything romantic happening. I liked the development of both characters and their relationship. If you read purely for smut and romance, I would recommend this book.

immayaiyer's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

I don’t know what I was expecting with this book but it wasn’t this. I think that the relationship and the characters could have been a little more developed and the internal struggle and change a bit more there.

sami_leigh's review against another edition

adventurous funny medium-paced

srm's review

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

Fun enough and smutty, but not entirely my cup of tea,

bblanka's review against another edition

dark emotional tense medium-paced