Love Is a Revolution, by Renée Watson

juliagulia330's review

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

books_xoxo's review

funny lighthearted medium-paced

kverity's review

emotional reflective medium-paced

This was not my favorite of Renee Watsons books. The main reason was I had a hard time with the main character—especially with how she lied to the guy she was trying to impress and continued to do so even when she had opportunity to come clean. However I do think the character was portrayed really realistically to what many teenage girls go through as they navigate relationships and their identity. I also liked how the story approached the topic of activism and how different people can respond to activism differently.

cristinareads's review

Review to come.
*thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a free review egalley.

kathrynmaggiex's review

emotional lighthearted reflective fast-paced

bibliophilogy's review

wow this is beautiful. review to come!

stenaros's review

Read for Librarian Book Group

Nala lives with her aunt, uncle and cousin/sister/friend in Harlem. She meets Tye and stretches the truth about herself. From there, we have a great story of a relationship, friendships, and family dynamics that does a great job of exploring the boxes we put ourselves in. And the boxes that others put us in.

stevie_b's review

It's the summer between Nala's Junior and Senior year and she has three goals. 1. Find Love. 2. Discover her new hairstyle. 3. Spends hours and hours watching Netflix with her cousin-sister-friend Imani and their best friend Sadie. When Nala meets Tye, an incredibly handsome environmental conscientious social justice warrior, at an event for Imani's volunteer group she panics and exaggerates (lies) about herself to impress Tye. As the summer goes on and Nala and Tye's relationship grows she struggles with keeping her lies hidden and their repercussions.

I was all ready for a cute rom-com with this book, and it absolutely met those expectations, but also gave me a dose of self-reflection and revolutionary self-love that I wasn't expecting and found moving and refreshing. Towards the beginning, I was a little wary of how Nala resented the work of Inspire Harlem (which probably says more about me than the book), but I LOVED Nala's growth towards realizing that the small things that we do for people can have a powerful impact. Recommend for MS and US (maybe even 6th grade) students looking for some light rom-com realistic fiction.

*Received an e-Arc on NetGalley to review*

marlene_reads's review against another edition

lighthearted fast-paced

gigireadswithkiki's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted fast-paced

This book was just an okay read for me. I liked the community organizing elements and loved the messages about practicing self love (especially for fat girls), but I found that a lot of the plot points were left unfulfilled in the book (for example, Nala is unsure about wanting to go to college but it seems she just gets over it and goes along with what her guardians want for her anyways? even though the moral of the story was choosing yourself first?) which left me feeling a little confused and pretty unsatisfied with the ending.