Served Hot, by Annabeth Albert

kaje_harper's review against another edition

A low-key slow burn story about Robby, a young coffee-cart owner, who is becoming interested in a shy, preppy customer. We see the two men from Robby's POV as he navigates attraction, relationship, misunderstandings, and obstacles on his way to a HEA with accountant David. I enjoyed the narrative voice, and the human failings of the MCs. This is a short book, and a few moments were off page that I wished were fully explored. Occasionally David's past wasn't quite enough to excuse his shortcomings. But over all this was a quick warm read that caught me in just the right mood for it.

amberandbooks's review against another edition

Everything started a little too fast for me, the characters liked to not-curse (heck, dang, etc), David had the personality of a brick wall, then there was the whole "my therapist told me to ask you out" thing that REALLY got me. I don't know. It was just frustrating and very much not my cup of tea.

brittaniethekid's review against another edition

I was looking forward to reading this because it sounded like some of my favourite fanfiction (the "coffee shop AU" is a favourite trope) but the characters themselves left me disappointed. I just didn't care about either of these people and they didn't seem compatible at all. When you force a fluffy romance between two characters with zero chemistry, it just reads very uncomfortable and somewhat one-sided. In this case, Robby seemed domineering and internally used his controlling ex-boyfriend as a comparison in this new relationship constantly. The reader isn't given really any background information on that relationship though besides that the ex was also a customer and was in the closet. Robby doesn't want a relationship like that again where he feels he's a dirty secret so he kind of forces David's hand. David seems like a wet towel, is very self-conscious with low self esteem with a lot of trauma and abuse in his past, so he lets Robby take the lead but because he's so uncomfortable with it, withdrawals and Robby feels he has to confront him publicly and make an ultimatum. Basically, it's not a healthy relationship and these two are not good together. If this is your idea of a good relationship, you might need to reassess things.
Overall, while I did finish the entire story, I have no interest in reading more from this series or author.

bookluvr69's review against another edition

fast-paced

andiabcs's review against another edition

That was good. I still think some novellas are too short, but I liked the characters in this one so I dealt with it. I would definitely read more by this author.

kate_readingthroughinfinity's review against another edition

This was a fun romance about a guy who runs a coffee cart falling for one of his customers. The plot was pretty basic, but the build up between the main characters before the declared their feelings for one another was enjoyable. Their characters were more realistic than the last romance I read; Robbie was surprisingly funny and endearing but I found David a little dull. Having said that, I did find the mystery of David's past intriguing. There was definitely some unnecessary angst because they just didn't talk to each other about their worries and problems, but it was a cheerful read on the whole.

bfdbookblog's review against another edition

i've really come to like ms. albert's writing. novellas are usually hard for me usually...i never feel like a get enough and then it's done. i felt like this was pretty complete with character and story development. i did think robby was a bit wishy-washy too long. he knew he'd have to be the more aggressive of the two in the relationship based on david's past but he seemed to take too long to just say what he wanted. david was a bit naive if his 'relationship' with craig went of for 12 years and he didn't see it for what it was. he showed signs of strength at times just to let it fade away with uncertainty. there were several sweet 'aw' moments (like the very last paragraph) and overall i liked david and robby. i will definitely be reading book 2!

lifeinfiction's review against another edition

"Robby and David are obnoxiously cute, and their relationship plays out in a splendid manner, never going over-the-top or playing it safe." — see my full review over at RT Book Reviews!

acdom's review against another edition

Cute, fun, super quick read.

kristenwestfall's review against another edition

This was a fine, fast little story. Nothing too different, but sweet.