Happily Ever Afters, by Elise Bryant

brandylyons's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective tense medium-paced

This book is a lovely coming of age story for someone who has always felt different and is now in a completely different world (ok town and school) and has to start all over. I love that she was willing to try to voice things that people were doing that was wrong. I love how much she loved writing. And I definitely loved cinnamon roll Sam, and Caroline (bad ass), and Lenore, and Theo.

I did have a little hard time relating as this felt a little too young for me, and I really didn’t enjoy the awkwardness and painfulness of it all. Which is weird because I love YA books. But overall I enjoyed it!

readingrainville's review against another edition

3.5 ⭐

jordymyers's review against another edition

funny inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

heyanci's review against another edition

This was such a cute book hey! Happily ever afters tells the story of 16-year-old Tessa who is a romance writer that gets accepted into this prestigious prestigious arts school where she is going to be a part of their writing program. While she has been writing she hasn't shared her writing with anyone so she comes up with this funny but ridiculous plan with her best friend to have a real-life romance to inspire her to write,

bibliocurl's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted slow-paced

pagestarfire's review against another edition

inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

simon_apollo's review against another edition

This book for the most part was a pretty fun read and the parts I wasn't as much of a fan of were just personal taste.
Spoiler I personally am not a fan of the memoir trope where the main character is a writer and you get to the end of the book and what you have read is supposed to be their "life story", and I also think that Tessa could have been a little stronger in realizing that Nico was not good for her.
But overall it was pretty good.

whatkariread's review against another edition

There was nothing wrong with this YA debut. It was cute coming-of-age rom-com, but it didn't knock my socks off.⁣

WHAT WORKED:⁣
- Representation- biracial, black, anxiety rep and disabled characters.⁣
-Sam was sweet and funny and made the most mouth watering desserts⁣
- Writing: compulsively readable and relatable⁣
- Side characters: added an element of levity and humor. ⁣

WHAT DIDN’T⁣
- I’m not a fan of girls rationalizing attempting to “steal” the boy because it’s part of some selfish plan.⁣
-I love a good coming-of-age story and I can handle a character with a bit of self-doubt. But the lack of confidence got a bit tiresome by the end. ⁣
-Pacing- in particular the last 1/4 of the book.⁣

So- I didn’t love it and I didn’t hate it. But I enjoyed it enough to pick up the authors next book. ⁣

jamiestricklen's review against another edition

A precious story about a contemporary love story. This book is such a cute and fun read and I can’t wait to read a sequel. No, it’s not the craziest story or an unpredictable one, but it was still a very fun read!

thatbookdragon_samantha_cr's review against another edition

The plot of this book was fun and light, but there were a lot of issues that made it so I just couldn’t give this book a higher rating.

1. There are way too many Harry Potter references. A character says the want to be like J. K. Rowling and I think we all know the issues with that. This book seems to acknowledge the issue with her, but there are still just too many references and the characters continue to support her knowing the issues.

2. I loved Sam so much, but I hated how the main character just completely takes him for granted and goes after a guy who is very toxic and also had a girlfriend.

I think that this book was fun to read, but there are a lot of problematic things happening in it. My favorite part of the book was Sam because he was just so sweet and all around amazing and I love him so much. This book also has lots of representation of different marginalized communities which is definitely a plus. Overall this was a light read with a hopeful end, but if the above issues bother you, you probably won’t enjoy it very much.