Little Witch Hazel: A Year in the Forest by Phoebe Wahl

erinosbourn's review

God I want this girl’s life so bad

truitje_aan's review

hopeful relaxing fast-paced

samhansel's review against another edition

hopeful inspiring lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

geekwayne's review

'Little Witch Hazel: A Year in the Forest' with story and art by Phoebe Wahl is a picture book that follows a tiny witch and her adventures throughout the year.

In the Spring, Hazel finds and egg in the forest and takes it home to tend. In Summer, Hazel learns the value of a lazy day. The Autumn brings a strange ghostly noise to the woods and Hazel has to find out what is causing it. Winter brings a blizzard and the return of an old friend.

The four stories here are sweet and remind me of Arnold Lobel. The art is charming. The only thing I didn't like is that some of the art makes it hard to read some of the text.

I received a review copy of this ebook from Penguin Random House Canada and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for allowing me to review this ebook.

bribellej's review

inspiring lighthearted medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

sarahelem's review

lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

The art was lovely. I wish there were more of these books, maybe in a series. I would 100% read them.

shemah's review

#2023

redang's review

A cute depiction of a small witches life though a year by having one story per season. The starting and ending with Otis was a great twist that wrapped everything up really nicely. The illustrations remind me of books written in the 70's or 80's. I could see this book working well for a unit on the seasons and some of the different things you see in each one - even the attitudes of people and their activities. I wouldn't read the entire book in one sitting, but this lends itself really easily to a multiple night story. This could also be used as a way to introduce children to chapters in books.

jpotter21's review

fast-paced

the_lobrarian's review

• Illustrations are digital, using colored-pencil textures