Wounded Little Gods, by Eliza Victoria

mel2's review

2.2 Stars. Great gowns, beautiful gowns.

Pros:
Nice concept, great title and cover art. I liked the little illustrations within the book. I liked that she explored (or rather, wanted to explore) the history and Filipino Gods and mythology. I did enjoy the culture and Filipino heritage and representation.

Cons:
The time she had was spent on random descriptions, the plot doesn't move until the end(and then it rushes and you feel confused and the loose ends aren't tied up neatly which leads to a feeling of dissatisfaction), the characters feel very stiff, the relationships are written awfully, there's no reason to root for Luciano/Regina siblinghood other than the author telling you. I wasn't scared or spooked at anytime. The conversations/interactions were not written well.

I like Clara and Regina's friendship and potential future relationship. I mean: !!

"Regina fell asleep again in the haze of the quiet, sweltering afternoon, and once again dreamt that she was running. This time, though, someone was holding her hand".

Also, this is not due to great writing of chemistry, just me seeing the potential. The way they became friends and started to trust each other is almost comical what is this insta-friendship?
Also this book wouldn't exist if Gina just decided to be a normal human being.

To quote Nicki Minaj about this book, "I never found you smart, I never found you entertaining, I never found you funny. I just found you annoying" (and time wasting).

ems_library1's review

Thank you Tuttle Publishing and Edelweiss for an eARC copy of this book!
3/5 Stars

Wounded Little Gods is such an great story about Philippine mythology! The book was very captivating, I found myself not wanting to put the book down. Right from the first chapter Eliza has you drawn right into the story.

The pacing throughout most of the book was great, it kept you clinging to the story keeping you reading more. Though moving towards the ending, I found it a bit rushed. Solving the mystery element seemed to just happen randomly, and felt quick. If the book was a little longer where the mystery element was drawn out a little longer, it would have held suspense just a bit more. Keeping myself from feeling confused from the abrupt ending. Having the book a little longer would have helped the characters have a little more development as well.

Overall, I really enjoyed this quick read by Eliza Victoria! I highly recommend this book, especially to those who love mythology or modern fantasy books.

softly's review

emotional mysterious reflective fast-paced

thequeenreads's review

Eliza Victoria never cease to amaze me. Her writing skills are great and I can't seem to get bored by it. She capture her reader's interest and holds on to it until the end. This book made me think and wonder what the hell is happening and when it was time to unfold the mysteries, I was amazed. Kudos to Eliza!

readivine's review

Eliza Victoria does it again!!! I was truly caught off guard with the last chapter and I utterly loved it. Wounded Little Gods is such a fitting title and for now, all I can say is that this once again a well written piece from Eliza Victoria. I'll definitely be reading some of her books sooner! FULL RTC.

eudaimonia919's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense slow-paced

kriziaannacastro's review

mysterious reflective sad fast-paced

johnreadsthings's review

As a mythology enthusiast, right off the bat, I knew I'd like this novel by Eliza Victoria. After finishing, I found that I was both right and wrong. I was right because I did like Wounded Little Gods and I was wrong because I simply didn't like it; I love this book.

It began with a mystery unraveled by the sarcastically funny Regina (who really had that attitude of an urban-minded probinsyana) and when secrets long kept were finally revealed, the readers were subjected to Victoria's incredible story-telling prowess. Her words cut deep, especially with those of the last two chapters.

kgemzon's review

Spooky yet engrossing. Couldn't put it down.

pamalalala_'s review

I don't think this quite weaved to the story that was intended. The premise was interesting and it kept me reading, however, it fell a little flat and confusing in the end.