Aurora's End, by Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman

nyfrea's review

adventurous emotional funny tense fast-paced

mkdxo's review

This book was genuinely amazing. It’s easily my favourite of the three, and an amazing end to the series. I was unsure during Aurora Burning but honestly this book was incredible. The way the whole team got separated into different time periods was genuinely amazing, because the odds were against them in every way possible and the tensions were so high that I felt like I was holding my breath for most of the book. Although I still wasn’t super interested in Aurora and Kal’s parts, their parts felt the strongest from the three books, especially because of older Tyler and Lae being involved. I actually ended up enjoying all of the romances, particularly Scarlett/Finian and Zila/Nari Kim. The characters were great, and I did hurt for Zila, but I’m glad they really created the sense that she was still there in a way. Honestly, the way the gifts in that vault were explained as well as other plot points was so cool and well thought out, I loved it. The ending got a little confusing at a certain point but I think that was more of a me issue than anything, and I’m genuinely glad the ending was what it was. Honestly, I could not recommend this book any more, I really enjoyed it.

see_sadie_read's review against another edition

I didn't dislike this, but I also didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as the first two books (especially book one). Fin was one of my favorite characters and I admit to wishing he got more screen time here (in the book with him on the cover).

Similarly, what I so enjoyed about book one was the interplay between all of the characters. Here, they're split into three grouping and don't come together until the very end. I appreciated how each of their storylines wrapped around and became pertinent to the ending. But I missed seeing them all together, missed their humor and sarcasm.

Lastly, I was simply bored for the first half of this book. The second half had a bit more going for it (and even made me cry a little). But being bored for the first 5 or 6 hours of an audio book is hard to overcome. Plus, I thought the solution to the Ram problem was incredibly pat. I was not thrilled with the ending.

Having said all that, I did still like the overall sarcastic tone of the book, appreciated the amount of growth in the characters, and the narrative cast did a good job.

faliiza's review

Bloody brilliant! Way to finish a series with a BANG

babahope's review

Wow. The amount of times I cried during this book is…. Embarrassing.
Honestly, I don’t think I’ve cried that much over a book before. Everything was painful and everything was lovely and then everything was painful again. Such a fitting end for this rollercoaster of a series!
There were so many mind-bending moments and I’m gonna brag for a moment by saying how much of a genius I felt for figuring out what was going on before Zila Madran did.
As is always the case with Squad 312, things got sticky. It’s very chaotic in the best way and keeps you on your toes throughout the whole thing. I really can’t say much without spoiling it, so I’m keeping it vague. Every time you think you and the squad have it figured out, something else comes out of the woodwork to change everything. It’s fun and everything is very urgent and I was having a grand old time watching the squad bounce around and crack jokes and occasionally make out with each other while they try to figure out how the space time continuum works.
Then the heartbreak swooped in and the pages of my book became very blurry. I cried, the squad cried, everyone else who read the book cried. It was a lot. But in a good way?? And it’s not all bad. There were happy tears too. And laughing tears! Just… a lot of tears in general.
It’s a fast-paced space adventure at its finest, with all of the human feelings you could ask for, and I couldn’t have asked for a better ending for these characters and their journey.
I don’t really have much else to say other than that I love Squad 312 and I’m so sad to see them leave (although Scarlett would say that’s her best angle). I hope they all get up to plenty of mischief without us.
I am not feeling nothing.
Thanks for the adventure!

gothamsmidnight's review

adventurous tense

qwordyq's review

4.5 Rounded up and I took away the half star because I feel like my girl got dealt a bit of a dirty hand and I am EMOTIONAL AF about this book. I also think, while I love my boy on the cover, I don't think it was accurate to portray him as the forefront. I think it should have either been Tyler or Zila, or really even Kat when you think hard about it.

Anyway, overall this book had my heart PALPITATING all the way through. I was terrified as hell and never exactly sure how things would work out. It got me so desperately worried I was choking back tears when I thought certain endings were inevitable. It was a thrilling ride though and I am very happy for how it was told.

jacquibear's review

adventurous dark sad tense medium-paced

readingwithyaraa's review

[ 4,5/5 ]

“Thus, we do not say goodbye when we part. We say an’la téli saii.”
“What’s that mean?” I groan.
“I shall see you in the stars.”

When I picked up the first two books at the beginning of the year I did not expect to love them as much as I do now. The story, the characters, the world-building, the romance… *chef’s kiss*

This book was no exception. The story was thrilling, the characters were great, and oh my god that ending. Spoiler alert, I cried a lot during the last few pages.

The only issue I had with this book was the pacing. In the first and the second book, all the characters were together so it was very easy to move them from place to place and progress the story at a high pace. In Aurora’s end, the characters were split up into three groups, which had consequences for the pacing of the story. Overall this didn’t bother me too much and I still enjoyed it a lot!

alikoenig123's review