Lord of Shadows, by Cassandra Clare

callmeoli's review against another edition

I thought I will never read this series, but here we are. 'Lady Midnight' was quite good, which surprised me, as earlier Clare's books that I've read a few years back were (and still are) such a mess. Now, the subsequent novel is repeating some cliches from the Mortal Instruments, but it didn't bother me that much. The storyline was decent, and the ending definitely convinced me to finish the trilogy. Listen, I'm invested now and I need to know what happens next.

mokaji's review against another edition

slow-paced

I love this series but I had to put the book down and take a break bc it was starting to get a little boring and was moving slow

mishkaroni's review against another edition

I'm not in a review mood after ending the book. How dare it end there!

natascha_vier's review against another edition

I can't breath. I really need the third book right away. I could not put it down. It has tension, romance, fighting and all sorts of different characters. Love the diversity here. Also loved to read more of Magnus and Alec, they fit really well into the story.

nbetterley's review against another edition

I'm really enjoying this series. This book wasn't quite as good as Lady Midnight - seemed to lag a bit and took me longer than normal to get through - but really good nonetheless.

nad_ira's review against another edition

Like my friend said, "self-care is not reading Cassie's books."

courtney_mm's review against another edition

I think Diana being transgender caught me off guard more than anything I've ever read... like I was expecting her secret to be all mysterious and shadow hunter related but it was so.... human. and Contemporary. and normal? Also it was the first time I've ever read about a transgender fiction character before so go clare!! go Diana!! ( who I'm pretty sure is black)

So thus far I've established my favorite characters:
Christina
Kit
Livvy
Ty
Diana.

I mean jullian and emma are great and all but emma is annoying and a little to basic with her bad ass sarcasm. And Julian is just like eh. But I totally ship them and think the thing about "every parbati breaking" is a lie. I also really ship Ty and Kit.

Also this book is sooo contemporary like oh hello Trump and your gang of bigots! Good to see you in the shadow hunter world!!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

LIVVY IS NOT DEAD.

SHE'S NOT.

I was prepared for some tragedy to occur like maybe mark dying or Jullian and emma finding out they could never be together. BUT NOT THIS. NOT LIVVY. WHY WOULD CLARE DO THIS????

as mentioned before, livvy was one of my favorite characters. I loved her and ty. omg what's going to happen to ty??? HE NEEDS LIVVY. HE NEEDS HER!!!!!!

this completely caught me off guard and I'm furious and I hate Annabel, I hate clare rn I hate this whole series!!! why!!! literally anyone else (except maybe ty) could die and I would be completely fine with it. I actually wanteddd someone to die cause in this big ahh book, nothing really juicy happened. like, I don't even remember what happened cause I felt like nothing happened. and I wanted to feel enraged and shocked. BUT KILLING LIVVY WAS TOO FAR! TO FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

predictions:
um actually I have no idea. will ty and kit become parabati? date?? I feel like ty is too broken to do anything tho. maybe livvy will be a ghost!?

poor Julian. losing emma and ty. no idea wtf he's gonna do either except get some serious revenge on Annabelle. Might break the parabiti curse? I feel like he's pissed off to do that

the chorot will probably take over and be a bitch but someone will eventually stop them

war with the unseelie???????

honestly so much is going to happen it's unreal

oh shoot... without robert there will be no exile. AND WHAT, WHO IS THIS MYSTERIOUS SEBASTIAN/SEELIE QUEEN BABY I HEAR OF??

sophiewallace's review against another edition

fuck

lightlessxo's review against another edition

The only reason this gets 3 stars is because of the audio, otherwise it'd be 2 stars just like the first one. The book is way too long for no reason whatsoever and two books in, I still don't care about any of the characters. Unless the third book is also narrated by James Marsters, there's no way I'm continuing this series... I really need to stop hoping they're going to get better.

lunar_owl_reader's review against another edition

4.25 stars