The Sanctuary, by Andrew Hunter Murray

gwyn67's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense slow-paced

thebristolreader's review against another edition

dark mysterious slow-paced

ohwildes's review against another edition

mysterious slow-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

Very long and pretty dull.

wilted's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

While lacking in suspense and atmosphere, and in the character work (which relied more on a reader's familiarity with tropes and archetypes rather than the author showing it in compelling and convincing ways through the text), I still found it an easy and interesting listen. There's a good story there that needed more capable hands.

gracewilliams's review against another edition

adventurous dark reflective tense medium-paced

mcgain's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

Andrew Hunter Murray’s previous effort was fine, but I enjoyed this one a lot more. Good near-future sci-fi concept and the story kept me guessing until the final page. Felt a bit slow to begin with, but the pace really ramps up at the end. Thoroughly recommend!

techxplorer's review

adventurous mysterious slow-paced

bookoholic's review

challenging dark mysterious medium-paced

I loved "The Last Day", so when I saw "The Sanctuary", I had to read it!

The author takes us again to a dystopian place, an isolated island run by a billionaire, who supposedly created a paradise.
Indeed he restored the population of birds that were extinct and the forest on the island is blooming... but for what cost? And what else is in the head of this man?

Ben, who's a painter works in the city. People are killing the environment, so living on the mainland is not easy, but he's earning his money painting rich people in the Villages. The love of his life, Cara, works on the island and she supposed to come back home... until she doesn't.

With Ben's desperation we're taken to the island, to the mystery and magic, to crazy science and impossible ideas. The vibes of the book are similar to the first one and it's just fantastic.

I haven't read much dystopia since the pandemic started, but I had to make an exception for Andrew, who creates the world which you want to be part of, and you hate at the same time.

jenny_wren's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious tense slow-paced

This wasn't really what I was expecting. From the description I was expecting a mystery set in paradise. This book isn't set in current times. It's at some point in the future where something has happened- maybe just humans - to cause environmental catastrophe and the point if the island. Its difficult to get a handle on whats happened as I don't think it's really explained. This book has a very unusual style. Its written in the first person with lots of introspection. The style was like Catcher in the Rye or American Psycho.... but as a main character, Ben wasn't very interesting! His girlfriend has left to work on the island and he worries about her so decides to travel there to find her. Despite no one being allowed on the island, Ben is determined to get there. The first part of the book is pretty slow as it predominantly deals with his decision making and travel attempt. As the story develops there is more to the island than meets the eye.
I think I'm disappointed with this book because it wasn't what I was expecting. The writing style is good but the story didn't really hold my attention. Ben isn't hugely interesting and its difficult to understand his motivation to find his girlfriend, Cara, when we don't meet her early on and what we do know about her isn't all that positive. Their relationship didn't sound very good so I struggled to understand Ben's motivation to find her. I also really struggled to understand the setting of the book - what had happened or what Ben's world was like. I think thisis probably why I struggled to connect with it.
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley with no promise of a favourable review.

jadeevans's review