bookwormkara's review against another edition

dark sad tense medium-paced

stine_0's review

One Sentence Review: I totally wouldn’t join a cult, except maybe I totally would.

aliena_jackson's review

Not sure how I feel about this. There was so much more that I wish had been explored, and the ending felt rushed.

dquirk's review

dark emotional informative fast-paced

kcc810's review

informative medium-paced

theboldbookworm's review

I went into this book knowing about NXIVM from watching a couple of documentaries. This book really delves into how NXIVM started as basically an MLM business and evolved into something completely different. There was a lot of mental and sexual manipulation and abuse. If you are interested in cults, this book gives more of an insider look as people who were in the cult tell how it worked and what their experiences were. I don't understand the appeal of creepy little men like Keith Rainere, but a lot of it is definitely manipulation and even threats.

I would recommend this book if you are interested in cults.

krystalanddogs's review against another edition

the people involved in this are such massive creeps it's absolutely baffling to me they were so successful

thebookhaze's review

I was completely engrossed in the book. I think Berman did a great job telling the stories and presenting it to the reader. I’m glad I finally read the book.

Read my full review.

dorothylong's review

dark

katiedermody's review against another edition

This reread was great because it reminded me of all the details I couldn't remember about the NXIVM case/situation. The story of NXIVM and its evil leader was what started my interest in cult stories and dynamics. Back when I was in the thick of it, I read as many resources on the cult as I could and this was my favorite for its clear yet almost lyrical voice. I very much enjoyed this reread and now I want to rewatch The Vow again, the doc that got me interested in the first place.