The Ladies of Missalonghi, by Colleen McCullough

lithappens's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted reflective fast-paced

sarahsponda's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

Love love love narrator Davina Porter.

Pleasant, predictable, fine, few lite sexy moments, but ugh
SpoilerWTF is up with the supernatural ending
?

slowreadinglouise's review

lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

SpoilerI hated the angel ending!

lnatal's review

It seems this book has a similar plot as The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery which was published in 1926.

Another coincidence? To be checked.

brona's review

Regular followers of my blog will already know how much I love The Ladies of Missalonghi. It's not only a deliciously light, confectionery offering of a book, it's also a murky story mired down in a controversy involving plagiarism and L. M. Montgomery's The Blue Castle.

Both novels can be seen as fairly classic examples of the romance genre - with a down trodden, plain heroine-to-be, a family that gets in her way/puts her down/hides her away, a mysterious, stranger hero-to-be, a misunderstanding that becomes the agent of change so that our 'to-be's' finally become fully fledged heroine and hero, in love and living happily ever after!

It has been suggested by some reviews I've read online, that McCullough's story is in fact a parody of the romance genre, but for a parody to work, there have to be clear signs for the reader to pick up on. Having read both books more than once, I couldn't find any evidence of parody or spoof, although McCullough does seem a little self-conscious at times.
Full review here - http://bronasbooks.blogspot.com.au/2017/11/the-ladies-of-missalonghi-by-colleen.html
#readthon
#AusReadingMonth

georgiewhoissarahdrew's review

I picked this up because it was supposed to be a thinly disguised version of [b:The Blue Castle|95693|The Blue Castle |L.M. Montgomery|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1442108651s/95693.jpg|1298683]. Except that The Blue Castle was charming, interesting, well-crafted.

A book can have many faults and I will still read it. But a boring book? DNF.

raehink's review

This is a sweet and gentle read. McCullough is known for really long sagas, so this is unusually short for her.

industrialathena's review

I *love* this book! It's sort of a cross between Jane Eyre and Cinderella: a bookish, thinking girl's romance novel. In less than 200 pages McCullough gives us an oppressed plain Jane heroine, petty tyrannical relatives, and a wealthy mysterious "prince". The only thing missing is the fairy godmother. Everytime I finish this book, I'm left with a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

fran11's review

Sweet little romance. It reminded me of LM Montgomery's "The Blue Castle" only with an Australian setting.