A is for Alibi, by Sue Grafton

meganfoshay's review against another edition

"You try to keep life simple but it never works, and in the end all you have left is yourself."

"You kill people you hate or you kill in rage or you kill to get even, but you don't kill someone you're indifferent to.”

"The basic characteristics of any good investigator are a plodding nature and infinite patience. Society has inadvertently been grooming women to this end for years."

The only reason I picked up this book was for a prompt. I needed a book published before I was born. I heard good things about this series and thought why not start it. I thought it was a little slow at the beginning, but began to pick up towards the end. I thought it was a pretty easy listen. I listened while cleaning out my closet. I am looking forward to the 2nd book hoping it will pick up.

rennie42's review against another edition

A is for Alibi is the first book in Sue Grafton's alphabet mystery series,
Kinsey Millhone a 32-year-old Private Investigator living in California. I have just started this series, but I really enjoyed this book. The mystery keeps pages turning as it fascinating, suspenseful and a real fast read. The character Kinsey is very independent, you feel as you now know her, and she is portrayed as somebody you do know. Nikki Fife has just been released from prison after doing 8 years for the murdering her husband, Laurence. Nikki wants Kinsey to find the person who really killed Laurence Kinsey begins to investigate and finds out about another murder committed only days after Laurence's that is extremely similar. The victim was the accountant for Laurence's law firm, Libby Glass, and she was killed using an identical method of poisoning. This trail is 8-years-old, and Kinsey knows it won't be easy to find the truth. Kinsey begins to put together a picture of the people involved and the circumstances that led up to Laurence's murder. But somebody is not too pleased with Kinsey investigating and unveiling facts that could lead to the true murderer. Kinsey gets herself into danger, and as she struggles to put the pieces together, someone is trying to stop

breezeyybre's review against another edition

I loved this book! I’m excited to read the rest of the series :) the only thing I didn’t like is how the main character doesn’t like dogs.... lol

dflick2012's review against another edition

I enjoyed this book, but I did not feel like it was anything special. I am going to continue with the series, however. I have to for the Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge, but I would probably attempt a few more even if that was not the case. The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge includes "R" and "S", so I still have a long way to go.

My issue is that I felt like there were a couple of holes (okay, so the dog was killed while the family was away... why was there no plan for taking care of the dog while the family was away? Someone had to, at the very least, let the dog out every so often. It also needed to be fed and watered... It might have been a blessing that it died via a car because apparently this was a neglectful family). I also felt like there was a lot of unnecessary, uninteresting life description stuff.

lolo412's review against another edition

It was ok. I'm more excited about other books so we will see when I get back to this series.

satinnite's review against another edition

I wasn't sure how I would like this book but I ended up loving it.
the description were amazing. back to a time of pagers and phone services no cell phones.

nuskiita's review

adventurous dark fast-paced

fenny_42's review against another edition

I could not finish this audiobook. The narration was so flat and boring that I barely knew the main character was actually conversing with other characters rather than just talking to herself.

I was going to finish just to find out whodunit, but then I realized 1) I actually don't care who did it and 2) My resolution this year is to not waste time on bad books.

books_and_tea_with_me's review against another edition

I like the whole seeries

polywogg's review against another edition

BOTTOM-LINE:
Like meeting an old friend
PLOT OR PREMISE:
Nikki Fife served 8 years for a murder she claims she didn't commit. Now she wants Kinsey to clear her name.
WHAT I LIKED:
The character of Kinsey Millhone, and her introduction on page 1 ("My name is Kinsey Millhone") is the same general format that appears in all the books. Just the facts. But she talks about having killed someone and that it weighs on her mind. Cue the flashback. And the book has all the classic elements that show up in almost all the books...her apartment near Henry, Rosie's, multiple cases at once, index cards to keep track of details, Deitz, Dolan, etc. This is a classic whodunnit with lots of twists and turns and misinformation from suspects, sometimes intentional, sometimes not.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
There is a bit too much relationship-angst in this outing, albeit briefly.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow her on social media.