Love in the Big City, by Sang Young Park

zoe_gluning's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad

nmashian's review against another edition

reflective medium-paced

lxllx's review against another edition

Das Buch zu bewerten, fällt mir ein wenig schwer. Den ersten Teil mit Jaehee fand ich echt gut, ich hab mich gut unterhalten gefühlt und die Dynamik der beiden hat mich gefesselt.
Doch dann ging es leider etwas bergab. Ab dem Moment, in dem Jaehee keine Rolle mehr spielt, hat sich die Handlung für mich gezogen und war eher langatmig. Die Dynamik des Anfangs war plötzlich verschwunden und ich erkannte auch keinen wirklichen roten Faden in der Handlung. Der Wechsel zwischen den einzelnen Szenen wirkte abrupt, manche waren sehr sehr kurz, andere sehr sehr lang.
Ich mag die Grundidee des Buches, dass nach und nach mehrere Etappen in Beziehungen von Young erzählt werden und aufgezeigt wird, wie er sich in verschiedenen Beziehungen fühlt und wie ihn diese formen und beeinflussen.
Ich bin mir sicher, dass einigen das Buch sehr gefallen wird, für mich war es leider nicht ganz das Richtige.

samay727's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective medium-paced

tikiti's review against another edition

inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

lorichagnon's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful reflective medium-paced

grxywaren's review against another edition

Though slightly frustrating in that certain plotlines are left either unresolved or completely dropped, I really did enjoy this book. The last part was a really melancholic ending to what was overall a comedic story interspersed with more serious moments and discussions. I'll probably return to this down the line.

eunseo's review against another edition

hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

mflude's review against another edition

I read this in probably around 16 hours total, which is proof itself that this is an amazing read.

I found it a little tricky to really connect with the narrator, largely because I am not a gay Korean man, but also because they are somewhat unlikable. I'm not saying I wouldn't want to be friends with them, but I'd like them to speak their mind more and be a bit less self-pitying.

This book is a really nice narrative on relationships and love, growing up and dealing with queerness in Korea. The way the story reads is really nice and the writing style really conveys what the character is thinking and feeling. There are ups and downs of trying to find love when many people around you are telling you that you're wrong, what it's like having to prioritise life over love and the journey of moving into adulthood.

Overall, this book was really really good, and I'd recommend it to anybody in the vast realm of queerness.

mikaaareads's review against another edition

funny reflective sad medium-paced