The Women of Troy, by Pat Barker

essely's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

streetlightxs's review against another edition

I felt this book was a bit forced. There really was no need for a sequel and as a result the plot feels a bit stagnant. Its mostly just briseis walking around camp and visiting people. It lacked the power and effect of the first book. But all the same I enjoyed just spending time with the characters and reading about their thoughts

rebekahard's review against another edition

reflective sad tense medium-paced

hheemmaa1's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

justineharvey's review against another edition

dark emotional informative reflective medium-paced

jolafaith_jpg's review against another edition

“The Women of Troy” by Pat Barker, a follow up to “The Silence of the Girls” is EXACTLY my kind of book. I just love everything about the balance of beautiful and grotesque writing, complex characters and motivations, atmosphere, and thought provoking themes… all set in a “mythological”universe.

I love myth retellings, whether they’re as “feminist” as they claim to be or not, because the intention is to center real women, with complex pasts and circumstances, in the narrative. The relationships that the women form in the time of war and it’s aftermath are layered and uneasy. While some women in this world are positioned above other women, creating suspicion and resentment amongst the group… it’s also true that no woman truly has power, choice, safety. Even when one asserts free will, they are never seen as capable of harnessing their own passion or identity or worth.

I love following Briseis’ journey. As she reflects on her life and the choices she’s made you see the regret and powerlessness, the grief and confusion she is continually met with. She’s flawed, and knows it, and yet the path to who she would like to be is obstructed, as it is for the other women in the camp. Even the women who do not like each other ache and empathize, at times, for what they all understand.

I don’t think you need to know the source material, and I think you can enjoy these books even if mythology isn’t your thing. It’s really a human story, one that will resonate with many people. I care so little about the plot when picking these types of novels up. I come to visit, to huddle amongst the women and hear their stories. To feel the breeze in the garden, to cry and laugh in turn, to find myself and to feel closer to others.

cheycoote's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

mariajruuiz's review against another edition

A little bit disappointed. The first book was a masterpiece (imo) and this was just okay. I’m happy I now know then end of Briseis’s story, though.

meg_rendall's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

nina0199's review against another edition