Sorcerer to the Crown, by Zen Cho

karin_gorham's review against another edition

This was simply delightful. The protagonists were clever and competent, the villains were misogyny and racism, and at the very end after the villains were dealt with I just wanted to slap our two protagonists and say "You are so smart. How can you be so oblivious!"

Also I really hate star rating books, I never know what to give them.

jeninmotion's review against another edition

Something like 3.75 stars because the book starts very, very slowly. Once Prunella joins the narrative, I found myself enjoying the whole thing immensely but the book takes a while to get moving and that kind of put me off. That said, once it does get moving, it's funny and fast-moving and everyone except Zacharias is cheerfully amoral/morals-light and no one is particularly upset about it, either. I enjoyed that a lot as a lot of times it's the female character who gets saddled with Doing Things Properly. Not the case this time! But yes, definitely an enjoyable read.

astroprojection's review against another edition

Reread to hype myself up for The True Queen but lbr, Prunella Gentleman will always be the True Queen of MY HEART

parnassusreads's review against another edition

liked it immensely.

amy_rose29's review against another edition

funny mysterious medium-paced

indigo_han's review against another edition

Heck, yeah! Magical England? Check. Smart fabulous wow heroine? Check. Poc Royal sourcerer with secrets and mysteries and sexy eyes? Check.
Not only do I ship it, but I learnt three new words.

unintentionallyasymmetric's review against another edition

challenging funny mysterious medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

It took a while for this book to grab me. The beginning seemed so serious and didn't match at all with what I'd heard from friends who recommended it. It was a slow burn but eventually it did hook me and I enjoyed it.

dinibharadwaj's review against another edition

Loved it! It's been a long time since a fantasy novel so thoroughly captured my interest. The narrator's performance was not to my taste, docking 0.25 stars for that.

vl_411's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

Liked the characters, do think that relationship between Zacharias and Stephen could've been explored a bit more but do like what was there. Enjoyed the magical elements especially from different parts of the world but the writing style and era setting weren't for me.

chenoameg's review against another edition

Delightful magical romp.