Reviews for Provenance, by Ann Leckie

achillea's review

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

Is it wrong to tag this book as a romcom

birdbold's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? Yes

skiaphilia's review

adventurous funny tense fast-paced
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? Yes

I dunno why, this just didn't hit for me. I was interested in the interpersonal conflict but the wider worldbuilding stuff and political intrigue, despite being something that usually sucks me right in, left me a little lukewarm.

owlmoose's review against another edition

I went into this book knowing very little about it -- only that it was set in the same universe as the Ancillary Justice trilogy, but not among the Radchaai, and that it stood alone. So I was not prepared for a fun story of political intrigue, but I was completely delighted to get one. I enjoyed a lot of things about this book -- the cast of delightful characters, especially the protagonist, Ingray, and Captain Usisine; learning about other human societies and getting a look at the Radch from an outside perspective; the seamless use of non-binary pronounces (e/em/eir); and the humor. Leckie is rapidly becoming one of my favorite writers, and I can't wait to see what she does next.

czottmann's review

adventurous hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

varadia's review against another edition

I really liked this! I liked Ingray, and how she wasn't the classic 'tough girl' destroyer, but was more a complicated person who made the best use of the skills and instincts she had, and was really good with them but not unambiguously the best and most reasonable person.

cbking's review against another edition

Another great read from Ann Leckie. Wonderfully complex protagonist in a fully fleshed out universe.

darythlei's review against another edition

All around enjoyable. Definitely different in tone from what I expected after the Imperial Radch trilogy, but a nice read. 3.5/5

lsneal's review against another edition

Set in another corner of the universe shared with the Ancillary novels, and featuring yet more alien races and cultures, which is delightful. The Radch don't feature prominently, but when they do, we see them through the eye of outsiders, and it's great fun to see them mocked for their tea obsession and their lack of facility with pronouns other than she/hers/her (as well as their troubling inability to control their separatist AI...). Also, I think I am in love with the Geck.

The plot moves along nicely, and the focus on defining the self in relation to (or away from) family is well done.