Record of a Spaceborn Few, by Becky Chambers

trisarahtops_'s review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful medium-paced

writeronherway's review against another edition

As always, I adored Chambers discussions of philosophy, her meticulous, detailed world building and the tenderness of her characters.

For me though I found this one more difficult to follow. The last third was seamless, beautiful and the multiple perspectives aided the pace but early on I found it difficult to tell the characters apart (Tessa/Isobel/Eyas/Aya), the multiple narratives kept things slow and fairly major events were not given enough time or explained until the very end which made things feel a little disjointed.

This series is incredible. It manages to reflect everything we are dealing with in the world right now and subtly embed it in these character's world's. It's so thought provoking and definitely earns the comparison to Ursula LeGuinn. Becky Chambers has definitely managed to do what she set out to achieve which is to explore the human experience in the extreme context of a hypothetical alien interspecies society beyond Earth.

readmymind's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful informative reflective medium-paced

daphnefallz's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful reflective medium-paced

snowbenton's review against another edition

I more or less just quietly cried throughout this whole book. It was beautiful, and I was happy there were no AI characters.

philomene's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing medium-paced

saralala's review against another edition

I read this without reading the 1st and 2nd of the series first, but it made sense and stood up perfectly well as a stand-alone. I already miss being in this fascinatingly different-but-realistic space world, but it’s given me a new profound gratitude for the one I’m in.

ghostsofthings's review against another edition

hopeful informative reflective slow-paced

I like whirlwind scifi adventures as much as the next person, and I've loved the previous two books in this series, but with this one I very much appreciate how Chambers wasn't afraid to really dig deep into one specific, very human culture. It's a rare treat to be able to get to see world building in so much detail, and being able to do so helps with seeing our current world in the same amount of minutia.

reginacattus's review against another edition

Another excellent book from Chambers. Exploring the meaning of life and how we each find meaning in it. The effects of our behaviours on others. Different philosophies and ways of living and dying in general. How we can work and grow with the changes in the world around us.
Once again it has that indefinable Chambers brand of almost nihilistic hope. It leads you down the path of "humans failed, and what were we even looking for in space anyway" and then reminds you that it's all about memories, learning from the past and each other, caring for each other, finding what's important to you regardless of how important others might think it to be.
A delightful read.

daria_nedelcu19's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted relaxing sad medium-paced