House of Hollow, by Krystal Sutherland

alicekhayat1's review

Pour une toute première horror-fantasy ce livre se prête bien au jeu.
Le côté gore est présent dans les descriptions mais pas de façon excessive
C est une histoire envoûtante avec énormément de mystère.
J ai parfois eu l impression que l on tournait en rond à certains moments de l intrigue
Pour certains personnages comme celui de Tyler , je n'ai pas forcément compris leur rôle/importance
C'était une belle lecture pour la periode

laurenhewitt's review against another edition

challenging dark medium-paced

501stbitch's review against another edition

dark sad tense medium-paced

brucethegirl's review against another edition

When the Hollow girls were children, they disappeared without a trace for days. When they returned, no memory of where they'd been, identical crescent scars on their necks, and overall healthy if naked it was seen as a miracle. Until their father became convinced they were not his daughters before ending his own life. Now, a decade later, the oldest Hollow girl is missing, and in her wake are horrific clues and a man without a face.

This book was so creepy and etherial. I loved the way that I kept denying what I knew was the truth even as every new scene confirmed what I knew to be true. What this book is really about is not clear at first. I've seen a number of reviews that do well to avoid talking about the actual story at its heart, and so I was surprised when I immediately recognized this for what it was: a folk horror. This is a changeling story and a much more well-done  than some others I've read this year. I won't give anything else away, but there is gore, and there are horror elements. Some of which even I was shocked as they unraveled what really happened to the girls.

As for the characters themselves, I loved them, I loved their relationships with each other, I loved how they each found their own ways in the world. The youngest refusing to schism from their family the way her sisters had, the way the oldest embraced the absurdity of the world's fascination with her by almost scamming them with her couture fashion. I also loved the way Iris slowly challenged the long standing tradition of always following her oldest sister's way. She slowly comes into her own over the course of the story, and I loved that for her. Even until the very last page, she is discovering herself. I've never seen a more believable and apt portrayal of a teen maturing and standing for herself. Even with just setting healthy boundaries with her mother. It was great to read and see represented.

I loved each and every character, even when they proved themselves to be morally unsound. I loved this book so much, and can't wait to read more by this author.

emilyling19's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional tense medium-paced

babyruth2510's review

dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

feedmefiction's review

dark mysterious slow-paced

northwesternrain's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

A dark fairy tale set in modern times, this book picks an aesthetic and commits to it. The center of a Venn diagram of nature, horror, and femininity. It balances the line between hauntingly beautiful and grotesque to great success.

Other than the high-school age protagonist, this book didn't really feel YA for me. My favorite thing about this book is the complicated characters and relationships. Underneath the twisted fantasy are themes of familial love and loss. The horror elements get stronger towards the end, and this book is likely not for everyone, but it was for me.

angelaonmars's review

dark emotional fast-paced

beckyreadsfantasy's review

I have mixed feelings about this!
I loved the synopsis, was so excited to start........thats it.

The language was very mixed with lots of americanisms (Butt, side walk and others that I can't remember right now) used by what have been introduced as English Characters in a story set in the UK! This wouldnt normally be something I notice but the language was just so out of place they really stood out, which did end up mythering me some what.

It did not scare me or give me the creeps so that aspect fell flat.

I am just not a fan of this story or the style of writing.

Some books I have read and reviewed in 2022 are ruining my average review score, I look like a total misery. I will endevour to be more selective about the rest of my reads for this year.