Briarheart, by Mercedes Lackey

shoelessgirl's review

2.5 stars. Perfectly fine. I think I’d have loved it when 12ish.

fictionaladventures's review

This was a really sweet story, but it wasn’t at all what I expected it to be. I had expectations of a powerful YA story about Sleeping Beauty’s fierce sister. Instead, I got a cutesy middle grade about a girl with magic whose sister has vague similarities to Sleeping Beauty, but it definitely doesn’t feel like a Sleeping Beauty retelling. If you go into this wanting a cute middle grade, you have more of a chance of enjoying it than I did!

sonshinelibrarian's review against another edition

This was so much fun. I love fairy tale retellings with a twist and having the main character be not the sleeping beauty character but the stepsister who discovers she has magic was so interesting. I really enjoyed the arc of the characters, especially Miriam, and I really appreciated that there wasn't an evil stepfather kind of situation. Really enjoyed the world. A standalone fantasy I can definitely see myself recommending.

amandathebookish's review against another edition

This book strongly reminded me of the wholesome, whimsical YA a la Tamora Pierce. It does not read like a more modern YA (which are often more spicy than not), but I found it sweet and refreshing. There's no romance; instead Lackey shines a spotlight on the bonds of sisterhood and friendship.

thistlereads's review

adventurous hopeful mysterious medium-paced

Girl power! Delightful audio narration.

bizzybeereaders's review

I definitely was hoping to love this book and I was not disappointed! It was such a sweet, heartwarming story. Maybe a little younger than YA, which is where I found it at Barnes&Noble, but I ended up loving it so that’s alright.

Things I loved:
-Wholesome without being cliche. I loved all of the escapades she went out without being afraid of an unhappy ending. She didn’t always succeed, she made mistakes, but overall, I could count on Miri to be a good person and to have fun adventures.

-Completely rejects the chosen one trope. Miri is only a hero by choice, and even then she’s not always a hero. No one is forcing her to do anything and fate definitely does not play a part in the book.

-The ending! It was just so cute and fun, I seriously didn’t see it coming.

Things I didn’t like:
- I wish the Companions had more defined personalities, and honestly, I feel that way about most of the characters. They all have veerrrry similar rhetoric when talking. No one’s shy, no one’s short-tempered, etc. They’re all just normal, courtly people/animals. It didn’t ruin the novel or anything, but I wish the author could have distinguished between characters. It was very plot based and not at all character based.

-The mysteries aren’t all wrapped up. I’m pretty sure this is a standalone book (?) but I had so many questions at the end that i wished would’ve been answered.

linyarai's review

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted mysterious tense fast-paced

bookfan1414's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny inspiring lighthearted mysterious tense medium-paced

disniq's review against another edition

Awful narration

db_cooper's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

This was a lovely read, a girl-power take on fairy tale tropes. Very well written, good pacing, and interesting story. Content is suitable for younger readers who can handle Harry Potter level flirting and violence.