Darius the Great Deserves Better, by Adib Khorram

vcaister's review

challenging emotional funny hopeful informative reflective sad medium-paced

mijpearl's review against another edition

How do I start this review? This book was different from the first one and similar in a way. It's about Darius who has come back from Iraq and he is trying to fit into his old life again. He is at a place where he as an internship at a tea shop, has a boyfriend, and a future. But things start to go wrong for Darius the Great. This book was amazing as the first one was. I really loved this one because I got to see how Darius' life was in America. It's kind of hard for him because after coming back from Iraq, he is getting bullied more by Trent and he is trying to make things better. This book was such a heavy read that I had to put it down at night and pick it back up to stop my heart from breaking. The tone of this book was really hard-hitting (is this even a word?) and so emotional. It's not easy to talk about how I felt because I can't describe it in words. It made me want to cry at times and hug the characters while telling the everything will be alright. I really loved Khorram's writing because it made me think outloud. I really wished to listen to the audiobook, but reading with my eyeballs was really different. It made me realise things different about the book that I missed in the first one. All you just have to know about this book is that this book lived up to my expectation from a sequel. Usually I don't end up loving the sequel as much, but this one was so good.

tiagonnoce's review

emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective relaxing sad fast-paced

apaunan's review

emotional funny reflective medium-paced

yvonne_cl's review

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

brwcpa's review

sad medium-paced

thatbookdragon_samantha_cr's review

Five stars because I can’t put 5000 million

lysskv's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring fast-paced

poketaco's review

emotional hopeful reflective

tracimreed's review against another edition

Darius is such a lovable character. I love how much of a typical teen he is, often unsure of himself and those around him. Now that Darius is home in the US again, I really missed the cultural references and warmth in this book that were so prevalent in Darius The Great is Not Okay, but I understand that the focus was less on Darius's ethnic identity in this book and more on his queer identity.

Other things I loved about this book was how HONEST Darius/the author was about Darius's hesitancy with physical intimacy and how that was OKAY. Not enough teen books allow their leads mixed emotions when it comes to sex, especially the male leads, and those mixed emotions are real and honest and I was happy they were included.

I also really enjoyed the matter-of-fact way that Darius's dad dealt with Darius's burgeoning sex life, with an emphasis on safety and emotional health, rather than forbidding him sex. I picked up a few pointers for talking to my own teen boys as well, even though they're probably tired of me talking to them about sex now. (lol)

Finally, getting a glimpse into what it's like to deal with a parent/family member going through a depressive episode in a way that wasn't ALL doom and gloom was important as well.