The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Tertiary Phase, by Douglas Adams

kaypat23's review

I can't believe how I missed out on the radio series and judged the book based on its contents. I completely forgot that Douglas wrote the series to be a radio play! This would explain why some aspects of the book felt lacking and some jokes fell flat. You truly need to hear them in order to enjoy them at their fullest.

This radio drama is much more enjoyable and fun than the book. There, I said it.

The characters and voice actors match, the music is well utilized and the sound effects are hilarious. Arthur sounds like the harried British man that he is, Ford sounds posh and calm, Slartibartfast has a very clipped and formal pronunciation whereas Zaphod sounds like an American who got lost in a foreign country for too long. Vaguely Latin? Vaguely South African? No idea. But I like how I could tell them apart right away. I like how depressing Marvin sounds like. But the white robots have a weird Italian Brooklyn accent I couldn't place and it didn't help that they also were garbled by voice changing machines.

I guess it would have been too much to ask for Slartibartfast to sound like a Norwegian man to help me tell him apart better but I cannot complain too much already.

Can't wait to listen to the primary phase. If I listened to this from the start, I might be more inclined to rate the book lower because it doesn't live up to the drama. So I'm glad I didn't find this until now.

february's review against another edition

Never was there a more devastating burn in the entirety of the universe than when someone replied to Zaphod Beeblebrox introducing himself with a deadpan, "So what?"

Another entertaining radio series, which retcons a bit of what happened in the previous series (because of course it does!) and follows along some of the key points of [b:Life, the Universe and Everything|8694|Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #3)|Douglas Adams|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1333577589l/8694._SX50_.jpg|74123], complete with the Starship Bistromath (loved actually hearing it here, the strife with Krikkit (much more exciting than actual Cricket... though, come to think, the Cricket of this book may have also been more exciting than actual Cricket due to the murderous robots that appear), and the characters Wowbanger and Agrajag who display levels of pettiness to which I can only hope to aspire.

Great radio play and much improved audio, though I would say some of the dramatic effect pauses (or maniacal laughter) may have been a bit overlong, as were some fluff bits. The script slogged a bit in places for me because of it. Still very enjoyable, and a fun afternoon walk listen.

booksareamood's review against another edition

fast-paced

As usual this is excellent, so funny and excellent theme tune. Will definitely be listening to the rest!

studiomikarts's review

adventurous challenging funny mysterious fast-paced

Even though, once upon a time, I had read all the Hitchhiker's Guide novels, and this dramatization is based on the third book, I didn't remember anything about it as I listened to this. That's not a complaint, just an interesting observation, since this series is among my all-time favorites. Not knowing what was coming meant all the plot twists and jokes were fresh and new, so I enjoyed this radio play completely! I loved the cast, including the recasting of characters whose actors had passed away, though it was sad to think that both of Slartibartfast's voice actors have now passed 😞 I didn't know until finishing this and reading others' reviews that Douglas Adams himself voices a role posthumously, as well! Definitely looking forward to listening to the next entry in this series!

verkisto's review

Where the first two novels in the series were adapted from the radio dramas, this third series of the radio plays was adapted from the third book in the series. It was produced without Adams this time around, and since so many years had passed between the second and tertiary phases, some of the cast had to be replaced. It still flowed well, and it was nice to remember the details of the books as I listened to the drama; it's been over thirty years since I last read the series.

2021 Popsugar Reading Challenge: A book in a different format than what you normally read (audio adaptation)

astrowags's review

funny medium-paced

dubiousdeeds's review

Well nevermind the secondary phase theny it apparently never happened. This one is a straight adaptation of the third book, which is not a bad thing since it's a good book (albeit not my favorite in the series). A bit sad that nothing ever happened to the alternate storyline the radio plays before set up, but Douglas Adams wanted it that way.