Imposter, by Tate James

p0laris's review

I can never go wrong with a Tate James novel. This one was fun, and it's pointing to some interesting things that may come in the next book. The big reveal at the end was obvious from the beginning, but the storyline kept me reading to see how she overcame each test. Can't wait to see what happens with the FMC's powers that are hinted at.

daphne538's review

DNF 11%

gypsystar's review

This was actually a pretty entertaining read. The interaction between the h and Hs was really cute.

sappleton12's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional sad fast-paced

bookbreaksnhottakes's review

I really enjoyed the entire series. Just a note it does not come across in the description but there are some very very adult scenes in this. With very very precise description of sexual acts.

smmcqueston's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

kkrs28's review

Ok so I'm going to try something new and write my thoughts as I think them vs. try to rethink things at the end of a book and neglecting extremely relevant info. I'm not gonna restate the description because if you're on the site I'm assuming you can read, and if you can read this... you can read the description :)

I first tried reading this book maybe a month ago, didn't work out, I forgot why, and forgot the book. Now even though I'm in uni I have always been skilled at doing literally ANYTHING but studying. That's the short story of how after combing my whole library decided to give this book a go again.

So after reading the description and seeing the high rating I deduced I MUST be the problem because all the other 3,000 people who read this book seem to love it. Then I went in with fresh eyes. I realized pretty quickly that I was reading the book wrong. You see I was reading this book like it was a high quality immersive fantasy... when in reality it was more like a trashy filler book that you can get through quickly. You guys know the type of romantic fantasy books I'm talking about. Books where there's a dragon male who has to viciously claim his mate... Or in this case a reverse harem (which never bodes well for the chances of the book being a well thought out wholesome read.) romance with tons of dominant princes who after literally nothing are in love with our protagonist.

Now that ain't no problem, that ain't no problem. I adjusted, and I adapted to the reading style and trudged on (I have in my time read some good filler books.) The first thing that annoyed me was this quote

"Seriously? You forgot to take off your ring? I'm never letting you sneak out with me again, big brother."

._.

If you have a sibling... riddle me this when have you ever casually used the title of them being your sibling so casually. If you were truly siblings you probably wouldn't point out their immediate relation to you (for a multitude of reasons depending on the siblings.) but in this case because A) you're under cover. B) it sounds awkward C) YOU. ARE. UNDER. COVER.

Next thing that bothered me is our lovely protagonist has a birthmark that tingles in the presence of danger...

maybe this will evolve to be less nonsensical as the story goes on... but of ALL the quirky traits you could give your protagonist you looked at tingling birthmark and instead of scrapping that idea and cringing, you nodded confidently and called it a day?

Tate James we have got to do better.

I'm less than 100 pages in the iBooks version at the point I wrote all that and I already know I need to hold TIGHT.

updates will come when (IF) I finish reading further chapters. Also the second I learn how to put gifs in these reviews IT's OVER FOR YOU OTHER GOODREADS REVIEWERS.

wisser22's review

Great read

Think Hunger Games meets The Selection. Turgid is a quick read with an interesting premise. Totally hooked to see what happens in the next book.

eswann's review against another edition

Rather predictable but enjoyable nonetheless

bookowl's review against another edition

Fun! Totally predictable, but the writing and dialogue is fast-paced and enjoyable. Looking forward to the next one!