The Maidens by Alex Michaelides

michelem's review

Another great read by Alex Michaelides. Another twist I didn't see coming. I feel like I need to reread both Silent Patient and the Maidens again to catch all the little clues. Both books are linked and, again, didn't see that coming. I was so far off on my guesses in this mystery it's ridiculous.

jessicalw2006's review against another edition

Michaelides did it again. Intensely suspenseful story that will keep you guessing until the very end, which you will absolutely not see coming. I found this book slightly more creepy and heart pounding than The Silent Patient as there were scenes where the main characters appear to be in danger. Phew. That was a wild ride.

rbrogan12's review against another edition

dark mysterious fast-paced

nadia_salawu's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

skcoe's review

initial review: yeah no shit your plot twists are effective when they’re filled to the brim with information we had no way of knowing. for this, and many other reasons, namely a lack of resolve (sure we know who’s killing the girls but, how about everything else weird going on? we’re supposed to be satisfied that it can be summed up in one (1) dialogue sentence??), i ended up confused and disappointed. so much of this could’ve been good and just. wasn’t

edit to add: I found the lack of care and footnoting of certain subjects (self harm and other manifestations of mental illness, grooming, abuse of power, pedophilia and rape, and stalking) to be downright angering and disrespectful. You’re telling me *every* young woman in this book is actively suffering abuse and instead of this being the centre of your revenge murder narrative, or having literally any development let alone satisfactory resolution at all, they’re concluded with a villains monologue and a one sentence confirmation? fuck you

that isn’t even touching on the disturbing treatment of psychopathy, a main character we’re supposed to like who could be charged with multiple counts of mistreating her patients, and more. the premise of an all-girls academic secret society set to a greek tragedy at an elite english university could’ve been so so good, and i hope somebody out there does it better one day, because this book turned what could’ve been a really interesting literary analysis on abuse of girls in academia, the power of therapy, and grief into a stock standard thriller with not enough to say on the themes that mattered.

hey also while we’re here do you wanna know who *don’t* play a large part in the book? the fucking maidens. what the fuck

stan fred though, where’s my guy to ask me to marry him on the first not-a-date

filipa_maia's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

I'm not a huge fan of 'The Silent Patient' and I found this book even less enjoyable. I definitely don't like Alex Michaelides' writing, I always feel like his books could be movie scripts. That is something that don't work for me.

Overall I liked the plot. The story is well built and the characters are interesting with complex and very dark backgrounds but the ending... my God... Why? I didn't like it one bit. It definitely subverted expectations but was completely unnecessary.

I enjoyed the "crossover" with 'The Silent Patient' though.

cindiey's review against another edition

dark mysterious fast-paced

chrissiewithanie's review against another edition

mysterious tense medium-paced

shalford's review

mysterious medium-paced

beccadevon's review

dark mysterious slow-paced

This book was almost a DNF, I found it very boring.