Devil in a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley

duparker's review against another edition

3.5 Stars. Maybe if I'd read this first, since it is the first in the series, I would give it a higher score. It didn't gel, as it isn't as fleshed out as later entries. Still like it and it's well done, just not as thought out.

mg_in_md_'s review against another edition

The edition I read included the story “Crimson Stain” from Six Easy Pieces.

kevlarbears's review against another edition

dark mysterious fast-paced

monsieurbearr's review against another edition

3.5 stars.

An interesting POV I have never read from before, it was eye-opening to see through the eyes of this protagonist, and I enjoyed the book.

It got really fast towards the end, with a lot of stuff happening, and really needed full attention to understand, but it was a good novel.

witte_jasmijn's review against another edition

adventurous dark informative mysterious tense fast-paced

alenareads_27's review against another edition

⭐️⭐️⭐️ I thought I would like this a lot, but it turned out just okay. I dont think noir books are my thing and that is okay!

kellylam's review against another edition

dark tense medium-paced

stevenyenzer's review against another edition

Awesome detective fiction with a fascinating main character. Can't wait to read more of Easy Rawlins' story.

rorie_p's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious reflective medium-paced

enjoyed the book. Interested in the series. I was annoyed about the black man listing after this random ass white woman. Such is life. Easy was a decent character. I was expecting him to be more brash, loud. I wasn’t crazy about the climax. Kinda lack luster but the book was beautiful written. Planning to watch the movie soon

rainweaver13's review against another edition

"Devil in a Blue Dress" has been on my to read list since forever, so I'm glad I finally got to read it.

It's a detective novel, but in a different world from any of the others I've ever read. Easy Rawlins is a black man, back in California after serving in World War II, and facing frustration in finding the same old prejudices that existed before he faced death while serving the country. He doesn't set out to be a detective.

He just needs money to make his house payment, since he got laid off from his job at an airplane factory. So when an old friend directs him to a white man who offers Easy good money just to find out where a woman named Daphne Monet is, Easy figures why not? The woman was known to hang around in black jazz clubs (and other kinds of clubs) and the white man knew he couldn't look for her without scaring her off.

An attempt to make some easy money ends up involving multiple murders, beatings, false arrests, a suitcase full of money, and a slippery woman who defies definition.

Set in the late '40s in L.A. and published in the '90s, "Devil in a Blue Dress" provides a walk into a world of its own and an examination of the evil that men do and the lies people tell themselves in order to survive.

I wish I'd read this a long time ago.