Reviews for You Had Me at Hola, by Alexis Daria

rachelpenny's review

pearlsandwool's review against another edition

This book literally had me at Hola. I was so drawn to the cover and could not wait to read it! I have followed Alexis Daria on Twitter for quite some time now but had not read any of her books yet. My “to read” pile is taller than I am, and I am always adding to it, but after reading YHMAH, this is going to absolutely change! Can’t wait to go back and read her earlier books.

You Had Me at Hola pairs my love of cheesy soap operas and telenovelas with celebrity gossip, romance, and DRAMA. I could simply not get enough of it. The perfect read for this summer, it features a diverse cast of characters, sex positivity, two very lovable Latinx families, and there is no shortage of sexy moments between Jasmine and Ashton.

I absolutely adored the exaggerated drama and one of my favourite things about the book was how the soap was spliced with “real” life. One chapter we’re reading about all of the drama between Carmen and Victor on the show and the next chapter includes the spectacle that is Jasmine and Ashton’s relationship.

Loved the characters and the story and I am really hoping for a second book in the series!

I received an eARC from Edelweiss+ and Avon/Harper Collins in exchange for a fair and honest review, and I’d like to thank them for the advanced copy.

agirlsnightbookbash's review against another edition

I really liked it up until the end. The major conflict knocked it down from a four.

The only cause of conflict I have ever seen IN a romance novel is lack of communication. This one is no different.

The book was sweet and a mostly quick read. Written in English with snippets of Spanish the story visits actors Jasmine and Ashton as they navigate their attraction on the set of their new show for ScreenFlix(netflix). The build up between the two characters was fun. Once they embraced the attraction, the steamy bits are well done in sexy glory. I loved the tv scenes. I liked the details they went into set life and how vital consent is.

My biggest issue is how easy it was for the characters to completely fall into emotional abuse dealing with their first fight. (Even after months of dealing with a trained professional teaching them about communication). It made it very hard to root for them. Additionally, Jasmine quitting a show because she fucked her co-star and it didn't work out is ridiculously selfish AND unprofessional. How many people would be out of work because she can't deal with the consequences of her actions? Not ok.

I loved Jasmine's cousins and Ashton's dad. Jasmine is a well developed and likeable character. Ashton was a bit whiny and had unrealistic life expectations. Gave me flashbacks of set life which I miss desperately. Ignoring my issues above I enjoyed this book.

siria's review against another edition

I wanted to enjoy this much more than I did. Alexis Daria's You Had Me at Hola is about two telenovela stars, Jasmine and Ashton, who both hope that their starring roles in a new Netflix-like show will be their path to mainstream success and reluctantly find themselves falling in love. Daria dwells a lot on issues of ethnicity, representation, and diversity, and I did appreciate that a lot. There's just a lot of clunky writing in here, with a lot of telling-not-showing and pop psychology that gets confused with actual characterisation (anytime someone talks with apparent sincerity about "practicing intentional vulnerability", I just start to snicker.)

sternregen's review against another edition

Cute romance but sometimes I couldn‘t believe that he was supposed to be nearly 40

ena's review against another edition

It was okay, I guess.
Don’t really have a lot to say.
The cover is gorgeous though!

Rating: 3.5 Stars

somewhereinbooks's review against another edition

- Juicy, Steamy, Enticing

- I absolutely devoured this book, I love anything related to celebrities/the entertainment industry so I completely adored the concept of ‘You Had Me At Hola’

- I now need to read everything Alexis Daria has ever written and will ever write

*Full review to come*

jessiewolf's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

dxrxthy's review