A Witch in Time, by Constance Sayers

elizafiedler's review against another edition

Really interesting concept, blood magic and curses with unintended consequences through time. Unfortunately most of the book is not about the magic at all, it's about different versions of the exact same doomed love story that's not actually so much a love story in the first place, it's a desire and exploitation story. You need a really high tolerance for doomed toxic relationships because this protagonist has four lives and FIVE doomed romances.

azebrareads's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring mysterious reflective medium-paced

magic_spamulet's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious slow-paced

kimmyslostchill's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced

thistlereads's review against another edition

dark emotional informative slow-paced

The first 30% was two stars.

kaleslads's review against another edition

mysterious slow-paced

lyssm's review against another edition

An excellent debut novel. I listened to the audio book, but I will definitely be purchasing the physical copy. The narration was quite well done. I appreciate the different lives of Juliet were narrated by 4 different women. It helped give the distinction between each life.

The plot was well done. I rooted for all the incarnation of Juliet as she grew stronger. I loved how it ended. I look forward to the author's next book.

millennialbookreview's review against another edition

A Witch In Time is a book that I felt disappointed by, because its blurb was misleading. The synopsis mentions a curse, but the plot focuses on the main character’s past lives, with the curse having little impact on the story. The climax also feels underwhelming, due to the plot being unengaging. The characters were pretty hit or miss overall, which made it difficult to stay invested in what happened to them. I thought the writing was good, and the author captured each setting beautifully. I think that if the blurb for this book focused less on the curse concept and leaned more heavily into the reincarnation ideas, the expectations I had would’ve been different and I might have enjoyed the story more. I’m sure some readers will like this book, but I did not. I was hoping for something more spooky, to fit with the Halloween season, but this was not the book for that.

My full review can be found here

alexiachantel's review

Sayers does a great job of feeding the reader pieces of Helen's mysterious previous lives, and the important question surrounding them. You can't stop reading!

Content warning/heads up:
SpoilerThe beginning of Juliet's timeline starts off with a sexual relationship between a 16 yo girl and a much older man. It is consensual, but if this bothers you then you may want to skip this read. There is also a rape scene between Juliet and her intended and his friend and a demonic possession of her mother.

The dual POV of present day Helen and past Juliet works so well. But then there are two other lives Helen remembers that happened between the two and those chapters didn't flow/fit as well for this reader. The ending redeemed any of the chapters that bogged down the story though as it shifts the spotlight and makes you see Helen and Luke's story in a different light.

j_lynn_a80's review against another edition