sstarke's review

This has to be one of the most depressing books ever. The Netflix documentary was better, so that may be why I was disappointed. But I also found the author to be both too long winded and unclear. I wasn't a fan of her writing style. And if there is a more pessimistic way to end a book, I'm not sure what it is.

itaril's review

I'm very interested in True Crime. As a writer, I find the narrative of some cases to be way wilder than any work of fiction could ever dream of. And the Watts family murders is certainly one of them.

I wanted to know more about why this tragedy even happened in the first place, how the lives of the members of the family were prior to that and why nobody saw this coming at all. It's disturbing to think to this apparently perfect and happy family was about to end the way it did and I feel nothing but the deepest disgust towards the perpretator, I don't even want to say his name.

I'm so sorry for Shannan, the girls and the unborn baby, who deserved way better.

The book explains the events since the very beginning, exploring how Shannan and the murderer first met, how the relationship with the parents of both sides was, their feelings when it comes to having a family... It has so much insight and it has trigger warnings when it comes to details of the murders, something I'm grateful to the author for including. The last chapters are dedicated to explain the concepts of psychopath, narcissist, etc... And see if the perpretator truly fits in any of these categories. A very interesting and easy read, if you're not familiar with psychological terms.

mommastarr's review

Some Science included, and it’s good.

I read another book about the Watts murders that was full of gross victim blaming. This book was the opposite. This book was well thought out and organized. The explanations on personalities and things were great. This book was informative and not the ripped from the headlines feel you usually get with a true crime book. My only regret was not skipping the chapter with the warning.

readingnookreviews's review

This book tells the terrifying true crime story of Chris Watts, who murdered his pregnant wife and two daughters. The book follows the events leading up to the murders minute-by-minute, and what happened afterwards as well. The author discusses Chris's change in behavior, his lack of true emotions, and an overall psychological profile. I would only recommend this book if you know what you’re getting into! The first half is every text message, interaction, and event before/during/after the murders, while the second half is a deep dive into psychological concepts and Chris Watts’s possibly psyche. I found the analysis of Watts’s actions and personality fascinating, although we may never know the truth of what really happened.

Also, I knew I was into true crime, but I didn’t realize how much I knew about this case! It was interesting to read an analysis of this type of murderer and narcissism/psychopathy in general, however I don’t feel that I learned anything new about the case itself.