The Rooftop, by Fernanda Trías

ginamc's review

dark emotional tense medium-paced

effinalice's review

The Rooftop is a dark and unsettling story.
Clara , our protagonist, is seemingly keeping her father, her daughter and a pet canary locked up in their apartment.

The story is filled of ambiguity and as a reader it often feels like details are kept from us which only makes the story more intriguing and peaked my curiosity.

Themes it touches on: scarcity, psychosis, mental illness, paranoia, incest , imprisonment

TW: harm of children

laluara's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious fast-paced

pia_uhlenberg's review

meeshreads's review

dark slow-paced

This is very short, easy to read in a day or afternoon. Very bleak and unsettling.

tinyhousebookworm's review

dark reflective fast-paced

The rooftop (La Azotea) by Fernanda Trias

I read this one in the original Spanish published by @charcopress in their originales series but is also available in translation by Annie McDermott.

This is a claustrophobic book about how love and fear can turn your life into a prison. The story is narrated by the increasingly paranoid Carla who is keeping her father, daughter and a canary protected from the overwhelming and threatening outer world.

The rooftop has the hypnotic effect of Mario Levrero's writing, you want to look away but you can't, you become a prisoner of the story. The prose is sharp, precise and beautiful with powerful imagery and a suffocating atmosphere. This is the first book in a long long time that I wasn't able to put down until I was finished and that says something. And the ending!

This is the first book by Trias that I read and I can already feel that she is my author, the one that organizes my thoughts into a cohesive story and puts it out there in the shape of beautiful prose.

jemima_reads's review

milos_booknook's review

The Rooftop is about a father and daughter who close themselves off from the world in a rundown apartment building in an unnamed city in Uruguay.

This novella is intense and the prose perfectly portrayed the claustrophobic nature of a family-centred culture. It encapsulated the feeling of guilt toward your parents and the pressure of filial piety in many non-Western cultures. Don’t expect this novel to give you any answer. The Rooftop is simply about the complexed emotions and unsettling atmosphere of the narrator.

While this has been a very good read, I would not have finished it if it were any longer than 110 pages. An average 3.5 stars ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️

This is another book from my favourite publisher: Charco Press. Charco press is an indie publisher based in Edinburgh with a focus on finding outstanding contemporary Latin American literature and bringing it to new readers in the English-speaking world.

erinsbooklogue's review