Prelude to Bruise by Saeed Jones

a_1212's review

~3.75

indigo666's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective medium-paced

moolyd's review against another edition

slow-paced

lynthebeetle's review

dark emotional

cleansetolovers's review

challenging dark emotional reflective slow-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A
  • Loveable characters? N/A

eliclarevt's review

challenging dark emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A

aprilatthelibrary's review

"The roof has been ripped off and the stars refuse to peel their stares from my bruises."

"Seconds are years in the almost dark."

Another collection of poetry by Saeed Jones. This collection includes poems from "When the Only Light Is Fire" as well as new poems that are just as vivd & intense in their imagery, just as visceral & raw in their descriptions, as his previous work.

cj82487's review

To say that Saeed Jones is intense, is an understatement. Just when I think that I cannot have a more emotional response to a poem, the next poem hits me in the guts again. I am not one to typically read a book of poetry, but I am glad this one fell into my lap when it did. Dealing with gender, race, and loss, Jones' poems take readers on an emotional tailspin if you take the time to listen. Poetry isn't for everyone, but this is poetry worth reading.

For a more detailed reflection on Saeed Jones' Prelude to Bruise

pearloz's review

If I could give it ten stars I would. From that last poem this line kills: "A bare lightbulb shines above them like a lynched moon." The language is simple, smooth, feels effortless but utterly destructive. Brilliant.

thebryceiswrong's review

I'd been nursing this book for months, and when I picked it up again this morning it raced me to the end.