Aventuras de um Jovem Naturalista, by David Attenborough

mkennedyy05's review against another edition

adventurous challenging hopeful reflective relaxing slow-paced

fernconcern's review against another edition

adventurous informative inspiring medium-paced

tbr_the_unconquered's review against another edition

A part of my childhood was about being smitten with Steve Irwin and his ilk of nature/wildlife conservationists and their television shows. To a child whose only window to the wide, vast world of wildlife outside his home town, these guys were nothing short of heroes. I had never seen a man wrestle a salt water croc or wrangle a rattle snake or capture an anaconda before I saw these and this stuff just blew me away. Every time I sat down in front of the TV it was - Attaboy Steve, let’s wrestle the living daylights out of that croc ! Back then, these reptiles were always the big baddies of the animal world for me but that phase passed and I came to understand an animal for what it is than to give it an anthropomorphic definition of good or bad. Many an animal is as petrified of a human being as we are of it and once this truth dawned on me, these shows lost their charm. While all of this was going on, I also occasionally watched TV shows where a mild mannered British gentleman walked through deserts, swamps, jungles and caves and introduced us to the amazing flora and fauna that lay within it without ever disturbing the animals. This was how David Attenborough and his amazing shows came into my life and have stayed on for all this while. What always stuck me was how much the man respected nature and how his presence was welcomed even by animals who were very shifty about the presence of a human being.

The book is a collection of Attenborough’s chronicles of the years he spent collecting animals for the London Zoo in varied ecosystems across the World. This whole program was televised by BBC as ‘Zoo Quest’ and in the course of three broad chapters Attenborough gives us the behind the scenes look at some of his assignments. There is his travel to the Amazon basin to observe, film and bring back birds, his trip to Indonesia to find the Orangutan, a trip to Komodo to find the Dragon and finally to Bolivia to find the Pangolin. This is written in classic Attenborough style with a dry wit and infectious curiosity about the natural world. Interestingly enough I read this in Attenborough’s own voice, it was like a recorder played on inside my head that read the book out loud in his voice.

All things said, this is not a great book for the simple reason it is not material enough for a book. The contents could easily have made a great behind the scenes documentary but considering that the events in this book happened in the 1950’s, there was no additional camera crew filming it all. There is so much more I wanted to write on Sir David but I’ll reserve that for another book on/by/about him.

Not the best to know the man but still a good attempt.

celine_arabella's review against another edition

I enjoyed some parts more than others. Some stories were very boring, while others were really funny, and exciting. I think a book like this is really hard to do well, especially when it is so visually contingent. But all in all, Attenborough is a great storyteller, and the stories were fascinating, especially when he talks about places that are so easily reached now, but was quite a mission to reach back then. 3.5

whatpageblog's review against another edition

funny informative lighthearted medium-paced

alisyy's review against another edition

adventurous informative inspiring fast-paced

aceamy6's review against another edition

Inspiring to hear how Attenborough’s career got started. A vivid old fashioned adventure that just seems crazy to even try pulling off now without any modern technology, such as a mobile or GPS. The methods of finding & containing the many exotic animals may seem outdated today. But the enthusiasm, curiosity & appreciation for all the wildlife discovered jumps from the pages. A truly beautiful read!

higginla's review against another edition

adventurous informative medium-paced

zalkacs's review against another edition

adventurous funny informative lighthearted medium-paced

dannireadsallthetime's review against another edition

I was very excited to start reading this book as I am in love with Sir David Attenborough :D
It is basically 3 sets of journals of his adventures for Zoo Quest.
Now I wasn't exactly thrilled as they went into the wild and took animals they wanted/needed for London Zoo, some of the animals were rescued by them as well, but I wasn't happy when reading they took.... I cant remember what animals they were now, maybe some type of armadillo?.... 4 babies, not sure where the mother was, but she may have been around?

Overall though it was an interesting insight of how David Attenborough started his career, what him and his team endured whilst aboard and learning about different animals and native people from different countries.
There were parts of the story which were most humorous, he has a good sense of humour.
I still love him and always will. Very interesting story.
Although I was mainly focused on the animals parts rather than the native people and there were parts where I would have liked more information. For instance they are seeing to bring back a Komodo Dragon, they catch one and have built a quick put up cage out of wood they have found, but I would have liked to have known, how they moved the dragon off the island, little details like that.
I have many more of his books and will be most interested to read them.
Defiantly worth a read.