Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

mekahlia's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

gruesomegrace's review against another edition

it was fine, but probably should just read an actual music biography

breestieler's review against another edition

adventurous emotional fast-paced

amarettto's review against another edition

I may be about to deliver a very controversial opinion when I say.... this did not blow me away in the slightest. I'm a little unsure what all the hype was about. I listened to this book as an audiobook - as recommended by most readers - and I thought it was mildly chaotic at first while we got to match the characters to voices, but later on it was easier for the listener to settle in to it.

I'm aware the characters are meant to be unlikeable, but most books make even unlikeable characters intriguing enough to make it worth the reader's time. These characters massively missed that mark for me except perhaps Karen, and Graham. Daisy and Billy frustrated me to no end, and even Camilla who was meant to come off as a saint, frustrated me that she put up with so much. The twist at the end about who the journalist is felt repeated from the Seven Husbands novel, and it didn't impress me. It didn't make sense either that all those people would divulge those details specifically to her.

Overall, a little disappointed. I enjoyed it because it was a very 'different' book - at the beginning of it I didn't even realize it was following a fictional band so that made it all the more interesting. However, for a book that relies so heavily on character building.... it fell short on making them intriguing enough (Billy/Daisy) or not giving the good ones enough airtime (Karen/Graham/Warren).

amcriah's review against another edition

I still don't know how to feel about the whole Billy and Daisy situation. Like, part of me can't help but think THEY WOULD'VE BEEN SO GOOD TOGETHER. But on the other hand, I felt so bad for Camila because she didn’t deserve for Billy to emotionally cheat on her.
This book just made me so mad. Because the thing about Taylor Jenkins Reid is she makes characters so real that you feel so many emotions. And I mostly felt rage. Daisy is not my favorite character and this whole love triangle messed with my head so much. I still don't know how to feel about it or who I think Billy is better suited with. 3 stars because, yes, I felt fucking RAGE but at the same time I couldn't stop thinking about this book after I read it.
I will definitely reread this in the future and try to have more of an open mind to the reality that people can be in love with more than one person and that there are many different ways a person can fulfill you. My problem with this book is that I’m not emotionally mature enough to fully understand the things that these characters went through/felt, so I can’t fully sympathize with or even comprehend the magnitude of their feelings.

_starless's review against another edition

I reallly enjoyed the audiobook. It’s written very..script like, so I don’t think I would’ve liked it as much reading it regularly. But the different narrators in the audiobook set it apart and I loved hearing the voices change esp when there was a conflicting account of something that happened.

noawebner's review against another edition

dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring sad tense fast-paced

This is my second time reading this book, the first time was before I had this app. I remember watching the tv series when that came out and I liked it at the time, I thought it was fun. But re-reading it again has made me realised how mediocre the show was. The performances were good, the songs while catchy were pretty meh (80% of those lyrics made zero fucking sense. Like honestly wtf does “seven fallen angels in a tumbler/meet me in the park or with your keys” or “I find it perfectly natural here in my car to be doing” even fucking mean) but overall the show was so hollow compared to the book. This book is so rich and, is someone in recovery, the level of depth this book covers on addiction is just incredible to me, really moving and inspiring stuff here and while I understand the series has to change things and cut things out because it’s a different medium of storytelling compared to a novel, the show just left out so much of the heart of this book that the high stakes, emotional moments don’t really land like they do in the book.

rileyr03's review against another edition

was bored tbh

mandtastic's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense slow-paced

I wanted to love this book, but I just liked it. The ending was better than I expected and I liked that who the main character was can be up for interpretation. It was a solid good book. I enjoyed it.

csbrown's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced