The Color Purple, by Alice Walker

izfehy's review

emotional slow-paced

cgirton's review

Even though I have a degree in English literature, and even though I taught high school English, I had never read this book until now. I'm so glad I read it when I did.

The Color Purple is an undeniable American classic. Alice Walker tells this story of two sisters who grow up to live two very different lives, while still holding to the hope that they will reunite and the love that they share. I love reading this story through (mainly) Celie's eyes as she writes letters to God and to her sister. It is heartbreaking to imagine the things she went through, the emotional rollercoasters she experienced, and the trauma she had to learn to overcome on her own.

This is one of those books that changes you. I wish it was taught more often in high school American literature classes.

luisaanjos's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective tense medium-paced

Um livro assombroso com final feliz

Comprei esse livro no início de 2020 e, até aqui, tentei tantas vezes lê-lo sem sucesso, mas com a chegada de 2023 eu decidi que desse ano não passava. e de fato, na segunda semana de janeiro, (re)descobri a potência dessas páginas, através de curtas epístolas que aos poucos foram me puxando pelos braços. tive boas experiências com romances epistolares, e esse não foi uma exceção.

mcnamasa's review against another edition

"I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it"

lsdthoughts's review

emotional funny medium-paced

fantasticmrethan's review against another edition

No words.

doms1990's review

dark emotional sad slow-paced

coffee_and_airpods's review against another edition

Powerful book! At time challenging because of the strong topics (sexism and racism), I enjoyed the writing style and the letter format of the book.

I absolutely recommend it!

angelaonmars's review against another edition

emotional sad medium-paced

lizzieh96's review against another edition

It's clearly a very important novel, and I definitely get that feeling as I read it. It deserves all the praise, and I want to love it; it's just not my style. It will definitely be one that stays with me and makes me think for a long time, though.