Moonflower Murders, by Anthony Horowitz

emmaxcs's review

mysterious relaxing tense fast-paced

lizzielemon's review

mysterious medium-paced

helensparrow's review against another edition

lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

crafalsk264's review

adventurous challenging mysterious medium-paced

Susan Ryeland was first introduced in Horowitz’s novel, “Magpie Murders”. At the end of that book, Susan had left all her ties to the publishing world and moved to Crete with her long term partner. But now being the on site hotel owners/managers has lost its appeal and Susan is exhausted and missing her life in London.

A couple (the Trehearnes) are aware of her past as Alan Conway’s editor and that she was mentioned in the reports of the solution to his murder. The daughter is missing. She disappeared immediately after finishing Conway’s last novel (“Magpie Murders”) which is based on a grizzly murder that had occurred at their hotel a few years ago. Trehearne offers Susan $10,000 to look into their daughter’s disappearance. Susan decides that she can spend a few days at their luxury hotel at their expense, talk to a few people about Cecily’s last few days and her disappearance, see her sister, and perhaps look into possible publishing jobs. Since Cecily’s last act was to exclaim that Conway’s novel had helped her solve the murder.

So Susan begins to look into her disappearance by rereading Conway’s novel, “Atticus Pünd Takes the Case”, and here is where the reader gets to enjoy the mystery along with Susan. Once again Susan follows both Conway’s mystery and her information from her queries on Cecily. The two mysteries are both intriguing and I enjoy the format of a book within a book. Horowitz carefully designs each of the mysteries so that they complement each other and intersect in surprising ways. He provides all of the clues but I still didn’t get the kinks out of who the murderers were or exactly what the mystery is or is not. Since this is the second in a series and the fictional Conway wrote nine books in its series, Atticus Pünd, I have hopes for seven more books.

jhobu's review

mysterious medium-paced

aisforargon's review

One-sentence synopsis: While helping her boyfriend run a hotel in Greece, Ryeland is roped into a missing person's case in England that has connections to both an Alan Conway novel and a gruesome murder.

I still really liked it! As always, the best parts were found in the novel-within-a-novel. Practically an Agatha Christie case (look at how many secrets we can pack into this small town) and it really does encourage a deeper reading of the novel. It's also cool that there's some payoff from book 1 - if a reader has the desire to look at anagrams of all the characters in it, they can actually solve the mystery at large.

It's not a perfect novel - Susan's maybe-maybe-not affair with Craig is just excruciatingly boring, and I couldn't find myself caring about her failing relationship with Andreas. It's a little weird how every gay character is presumed to be wildly promiscuous and/or into kinky sex with escorts. But otherwise, it's a fun novel and I'm interesting to see #3 - and what other murders can be solved with Conway novels.

theteatreebooks's review

Very well written! So impressed by the amount of detail and dedication that was given to this novel! I did have an inkling as to who did it by the end, but in my books that’s a sign of a well written mystery novel! The reader should be able to use the clues along the way to develop their own hypothesis as to what happened. If you can’t predict it, and you’re totally surprised by who did it, that means the author didn’t do their job in allowing you to be apart of the investigation!
Really enjoyed and highly recommend!

ihtis's review

dark mysterious relaxing slow-paced

caitlinwoodington's review against another edition

I actually enjoyed this book far more than the first. It’s an interesting premise and way to tell a mystery.