A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor, by Hank Green

rhombusriley's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional informative reflective sad tense medium-paced

eatreadbreathe's review against another edition

My actual rating is probably 4.5, but rounding up because the audio is wonderfully done!

codizzity's review against another edition

adventurous funny

captaincrash's review against another edition

adventurous challenging funny hopeful informative reflective tense medium-paced

hottesen's review

adventurous challenging emotional reflective tense medium-paced

I finished this so fast! This is everything in a sequel that I wanted Ready Player Two to be! Speaking of, many bits of this definitely give me origins of Ready Player One vibes, in the best way. The characters, again, are so real they're infuriating. Hank crushes it again. And I appreciate that as a sequel it was everything that the first one was but so completely different. Not just the same formula as the first one rewritten. Truly a complete story/duology. Thank you, Hank.

katiemulcahy122's review

I'm going go ahead and consider this the first great pandemic read, because even though it was written before the coronavirus, it's getting 5 stars because it nailed some of the major feelings I've had. Like, WHAT THE EFF, HANK?

There was definitely a lot more action than the first book, which I think came from having multiple POV chapters, although he still managed to fit in some monologue explanations about very particular topics. Sometimes the voices felt pretty similar and occasionally I had to double check whose narration I was reading, but it still kept the story going. However, I didn't want it to end, and I found myself slowing down as I went because I was enjoying it so much. But ultimately, I found the ending both stressful and satisfying, which felt appropriate.

(Also, just as I was finishing the book, my father was literally in the other room complaining how "This is it, the end of society. Fox News and apps" and it was too fitting.)

emmreadsbooks's review

It’s just so freaking good!!!! Anyone who’s into AI, social media, science in general, relationships, or even science will enjoy it. (Unless you’re my boyfriend who won’t read anything written in the first person)

nicecatchpercy's review

I loved these. Really fun and meaningful. Also loved the interview at the end of the audiobook.

aejohnson621's review against another edition

adventurous emotional reflective fast-paced

cpenny124's review

This is the best sequel I've ever read. This novel is solid proof that Hank Green was born to write science fiction. His humor and extensive knowledge on science, the internet, and human consciousness made this book a gem in every aspect. He handled difficult situations in the book with humor and fast paced writing. It both overwhelmed you, and satisfied you in a thrilling compilation of wisdom and wit.