Mexican Gothic, by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

ashleighbeanxo's review against another edition

Wow.. what was this book?

So I'm guessing Silvia Moreno-Garcia is going straight to the top of my list of authors I need to read everything from. This book was such a fucking trip but I kinda loved every second of it. The writing is so absolutely beautiful even when we're getting descriptions of utter horror, I could picture everything so clearly and felt at times like I was there in High Place. The grossness and horror throughout this book is so good. Ugh, I just loved it, okay? Please read this book.

Also, I want to be like Noemi when I grow up. She's fucking cool, has impeccable fashion sense, is obviously stunningly beautiful and she always has an answer. I love her.

jillmlong's review against another edition

audiobook. Great narration. Good story.

lynnetteharris's review

dark hopeful mysterious medium-paced

katwarrrd's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

Family dealing with dark secrets and immortality.

bethchrissink's review against another edition

I fell in love with Silvia Moreno-Garcia earlier this year when I finally read Gods of Jade and Shadow. I am a regular reader of fantasy and magical realism, so that book was a 100% win for me. But, equal to the plot and characters was the beautiful prose. When I saw Mexican Gothic was set to come out this summer I jumped on it even though it is very much outside my genre comfort zone. I am not a horror reader and even joked that to get through this one I would have to read it during the day only. I don't know if I am a horror convert after this, but much to my delight I loved this book! I couldn't stop reading this one late into the night and again was pulled in by vivid characters, setting, and stunning writing.

Noemi is asked to travel from Mexico City to visit her cousin Catalina after the family receives a cryptic and concerning letter from her. Catalina is recently married and has moved into her English husband's ancestral home. When Noemi arrives she discovers a creepy, ramshackle house high in the hills away from the town. She is immediately concerned after meeting the strange and strict members of the family and seeing that Catalina is nearly catatonic. She befriends Francis, the youngest member of the household and the most normal and begins to investigate the strange goings-on in the house. What she uncovers is disturbing and she begins to wonder if she will ever be able to leave the house.

This book is deliciously creepy with a plot that keeps you turning the page for more. I highly recommend this book if you love horror, dark fantasy, historical fiction with a twist, or all of the above. And the cherry on top is the absolutely gorgeous cover art! Do yourself a favor and read this book... but, maybe leave the lights on ;)

Netgalley and Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine (Del Rey) gifted me this egalley in exchange for.a fair and honest review.

sophiaj321's review against another edition

dark mysterious slow-paced

luminositylibrary's review against another edition

Mexican Gothic is a dreamy, atmospheric gothic horror that slowly builds into a spectacularly spooky ending. It's everything I wanted and more, another fantastic book from Silvia Moreno-Garcia!

Like the old car that had picked Noemí up, the town clung to the dregs of splendor.

Set in 1950s Mexico, Noemí, a glamorous socialite, is called upon to investigate her cousin's strange letter. A letter claiming her husband is poisoning her. Determined to put her stubbornness to good use Noemí goes to the rescue, arriving at the Victorian house that overlooks an old mining town. A small bit of England in the Mexican Countryside. When even her dreams begin to be invaded by ghosts and dooming nightmares, her cousin might not be the only one in danger.

She thought that men such as her father could be stern and men could be cold like Virgil, but women needed to be liked or they’d be in trouble. A woman who is not liked is a bitch, and a bitch can hardly do anything: all avenues are closed to her.

This was everything I wanted out of Gothic horror. It has all of my favourite tropes while bringing a new twist on the genre. Colonialism and eugenics are key themes, and wow are they done well. It lulls you into a false sense of understanding with the slow-building atmosphere and then catapults you straight into absolute weirdness, in the best kind of way. Noemi was such an intriguing character, I loved her so much! She has vulnerabilities, but she's also one of the bravest, most intelligent women I've ever seen in this genre. You should absolutely read this book if you like chilling atmospheres, dark themes, weird twists, and an amazing main character (though I'd avoid it if you hate slow-paced books).

CW: Sexual Assault, Gaslighting, Racism, Eugenics, Misogyny, Violence, Incest, Infanticide, Murder, Suicide, Miscarriage, Cannibalism, Human Sacrifice

mccormick23's review