The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini

lindseyloeper's review against another edition

Interesting story about a county and culture I don't know much about. The author has some annoying writing habits and the ending is rushed, especially compared to how much time is spent building the characters and story in the beginning.

alaafahmawi92's review against another edition

Run Amir, run!
This book has become my best friend for the last three weeks, I take it with me wherever I go. I must say that unlike a thousand splendid suns, this one was way lesser on the level of graphic content and violence but the author succeeded to grasp the daily lives of afghan boys. This book is beautiful, it's bittersweet nature and its affirmative message that you can always be good again no matter how sinful you were in your past is relieving. Would I read it again? Yes, of course. "A thousand times over".

nannahnannah's review against another edition

I'm not even quite sure how to rate this one, so reviewing it is even harder.

Book content warnings:
rape
homophobia
pedophilia

(also above warnings in review)

But I can say with certainty that I would've enjoyed it much more if the author would have just left out the homophobia altogether. The only time same-sex anything was ever mentioned or anything was when the only character who could be considered the villain raped boys.

Maybe people who aren't in the LGBT community won't think anything of it, but for me and others who are? Wow. It's beyond awful to read something like this where we are directly connected to rape and pedophilia. Where our only """representation""" (badly-used term in this book, to be honest) in this book is the villain who is labeled a "sociopath", is part of the Taliban, and who does these shitty crimes.

So I can't really look beyond this, sorry.

narratricenessa's review against another edition

When I read the 1st sentence of this book I knew something was going to go horribly wrong... I still don't know what to think of everything I've read, but I liked the story very much.

nilyay's review against another edition

It ripped my heart apart.

allisongoldbeck's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

cmurphy758's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad

laurenjj's review against another edition

Reading this book years after it was written, and knowing that the people of Afghanistan still face tragedy every day, was heartbreaking. I don't know what else to say but would so highly recommend this book.

bloodthrstbooks's review against another edition

**3.5** There were some really good moments in this book, but some parts were so slow and oddly paced that I lost interest. It took me a long time to read because I felt like I was trudging through it. The story itself was beautiful, though I do agree with other reviews who were not a fan of the amount of coincidence that the plot relied on.

autumn_wind's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful informative reflective sad tense slow-paced