Gone, by Michael Grant

steph_327's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

ahinds's review against another edition

Sam Temple was sitting in his third period history class when his teacher just disappeared. Soon he finds out that every other teacher has disappeared too, along with a few students. Freaked out, he and his friends race home only to discover that their parents are nowhere to be found. It soon becomes apparent that everyone over the age of 15 has disappeared. Confused, and not knowing what to do, the town kids turn to "School Bus Sam". When Sam was 13 he saved an entire school bus of kids by driving the bus when the driver had an heart attack. Sam is no one's hero and balks at becoming the leader of the town. He also has a secret to hide because for the last few years he has been able to produce lights from his hand. So Sam, along with his friends Quinn and Astrid go on a search to find answers. They find a barrier 20 mile wide. If you touch the barrier it feels like your skin is burning, though it leaves no physical damage. Returning back to town they find that the rich private school kids have installed themselves as leaders of the town. Their leader Caine promises peace and order but it soon becomes apparent that he has a hidden agenda.

Looking at this book you would probably feel quite intimated by it. It looks big and at 558 pages it's one of the longer young adults books that I have read. The book does lag at a few points but, given the size of the novel, it's understandable. There are a lot of characters and it can be hard to keep track of some of the minor ones. Since there are so many characters you find yourself not caring weather some of the minor characters live or die. I felt this was a disservice to some of the characters because they were all well written characters. There were just so many of them. Gone uses alternating points of view, and at times it can be hard to keep up with them. It switches back and forth between Sam and a number of other characters in the book. Since it's all ready hard to keep the characters straight, this just makes it even more confusing.

Other than the points I mentioned above I found the book to be quite enjoyable. Michael Grant is one of the best authors at creating realistic characters. It's not just the main characters, even the minor ones are in depth and realistic. He also accurently portrays how a teenager would act in a situation like this. First being happy that there is no one to tell them what to do, then starting to worry about loved ones, and finally full blown panic about what they're going to do. I felt that it was quite odd for the cut off line of disappearing to be at 15. Since, in my experience, high schoolers don't act like the responsible adults that people think they are. The book's plot gets you hooked in and you'll find yourself unable to put it down. Gone has many twists and turns that will leave you shocked and dying to know what happens next. While Gone did contain romance it never felt overbearing and it never once drove the plot. Overall I would say Gone was a pretty amazing book and it managed to make it's long length work for it.

annafranklin04's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

megmbeasley's review against another edition

I was pretty shocked by Gone. Although the characters are all 14 or under, the situations they are in are all very adult and very real. I was really elated to find the author thought out all possibilities and didn't edit them out even thought a life without adults could become very violent and graphic. The book was definitely a young adult that reads like an adult novel. I'm not sure I could have understood the implications at age 14 and am glad I found the novel at age 24.

starbound's review against another edition

4.5 stars!
Jeg ventet en god stund med å lese denne boka, siden den er ganske lang og jeg var i humør til å lese litt kortere bøker, men jeg begynte nå å lese likevel. Og får jeg bare si W-O-W. Denne boka var mye bedre enn jeg hadde forventet. Det er action fra første side og helt ut. Jeg fikk sterke følelser for alle karakterene -- både positive og negative (særlig hat overfor Drake, ugh!) -- og de var så bra skrevet at jeg følte at kjente dem. Det er mye grotesk som skjer, det er skummelt og språket i boka beskriver situasjonene så perfekt. Om jeg hadde vært i the FAYZ så hadde jeg dødd av skrekk innen den første dagen, men disse fjortenåringene er veldig modige. Jeg fikk egentlig følelsen av at alle var mye eldre enn fjorten og yngre. Jeg var ihvertfall ikke så moden på den alderen! Gleder meg virkelig til å lese Hunger.

wamacarthur's review against another edition

I picked this book up as my kids loved them. I found the plot interesting, liked the multiple view points, and found the characters believable and deep. However, I was listening to this book, and found the use of the word "SAID" INCREDIBLY frustrating. Synonyms or more expressive language out there for all to use. The overall writing sounded like a 5th grader wrote it, while the themes were more YA.

tig319's review against another edition

adventurous sad medium-paced

wrenlee's review against another edition

nice but i don't want this to happen to me

raginilk's review against another edition

Wow

stephee's review against another edition

A bit too gratuitously violent for me. And the idea is not too original. I can see why this is one of the most popular series in our library for the students though.