Reviews tagging Sexual violence

As Good As Dead, by Holly Jackson

katieedwards's review

challenging dark emotional tense medium-paced

cianarae's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

kaii's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

I don't think this is as good as the first two - the original AGGGTM will always remain the best, I think - and especially early on I think it suffers a bit from overexplanation. but it's still fucking great, and especially picks up towards the end.

henry_1906's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

3 hours 27 minutes - I really did not expect to love this book so much. Both the previous books have been very good books, but nothing hugely special, but this one was amazing. I've never read a book quite like this. This was a much darker book than the previous two, and the stakes were raised, which made it far more tense and engaging. I don't say 'edge of my seat' very often, but this book truly did keep me on the edge of my seat the whole time. The direction the book took around half way through threw me off at first, but I think this provided the perfect conclusion to the trilogy.

ncoletti's review

dark emotional tense fast-paced

bella_b_4's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful sad tense fast-paced

sennaje's review against another edition

dark mysterious fast-paced

w1llreads's review

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

i loved the ending to this triology - the whole thing is totally worth reading
Spoiler ‘did you miss me, sarge?’ AHHHGHG i love ravi i’ll miss him

gamora_zen1's review

dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

lybrarie's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional informative mysterious tense medium-paced

I have a lot of feelings about this book, and it made it quite difficult for me to decide on what rating to give it. I still think the first book in the trilogy was the best of the three, but I'd say this is about on par with the second one - which is still very good.

The book itself - it took me a couple of chapters to get into it. When a book is marketed as a mystery novel but there isn't any kind of mystery for the first 50 or so pages, it does feel a bit lackluster. However, once the mystery started I really, really enjoyed the first half of the book. It felt very reminiscent of the first two books with some really well-planned tie-ins to previous plot points, whilst still feeling very fresh and with much higher stakes.

The second half of the book is what I don't feel as positive about. This book - and the second half especially - was a lot, lot darker than the first two books, and more thriller than mystery. That in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it wasn't what I was expecting or had hoped for for this book. I also found myself constantly annoyed with Pip and her actions throughout the second half of the book, and the whole thing just made me incredibly anxious with how tense it was, which I really didn't enjoy.

That being said, I think it's a testament to Jackson's writing, the fact that I felt that way. The writing throughout all three books has been excellent, but this book was written especially well. I might not have enjoyed feeling so stressed about what was happening, but the fact that I was feeling that way shows just how incredible Jackson's writing was. It was able to capture me completely and suck me right into the book, so I was there with the characters experiencing everything they were.

Overall it was a good book and a good trilogy. Jackson is incredibly clever, the way she has pieced everything together to create such an intricate mystery that was beyond fun to unravel along with the characters. I enjoyed all of it.