Reviews tagging Gaslighting

As Good As Dead, by Holly Jackson

delfinmac's review

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

naomidanae's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

starbyproxy's review

challenging emotional hopeful mysterious sad medium-paced

This book shot me in the heart and Holly Jackson pulled the trigger! The first half of As Good As Dead felt as close to your average mystery as you could get, with our honorary Sarge Pippa Fitz-Amobi absolutely spiralling and losing her shit. An almost The Woman In The Window atmosphere.

But that all took a sharp turn. The second half made me cry, multiple times. It made me laugh, it made me hope. It made me questions right and wrong, and truth and justice. I was rooting for Team Pip and Ravi all the way and Holly Jackson made sure of it. Which made the last chapters even more gut wrenching. If Pip was a ticking time bomb then I was sitting right there with her, within the blast radius. Absolutely blown to smithereens. Every “Sarge”, “It’s me and you, trouble”, “I don’t want to lose you,” and “he was my best thing” completely shattered me. I wished to take away half their pain, to share in their fears and I did. Pip said, “If it was a choice between me and you, I choose you,” and I wholeheartedly choose them. Mariah Carey’s Always Be My Baby started playing as I read the last page and I sobbed for the entire song.

The answer to the question, “Who will look for you when you’re the one who disappears?” was found family. It was to love and to be loved and the things we do for that love. I wasn’t sure what direction this trilogy would go in after Good Girl, Bad Blood. It simply felt impossible for it to get any better, but it did. And it has solidified itself as one of my favourite books of all time. And my favourite series.

cnohero's review

adventurous mysterious

mme_carton's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

ridleyreadsthings's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious tense fast-paced

This series continues to blow my mind. What started as one of the best mysteries I've read has come full circle, and it was an exhilarating ride.

I don't really know what to say without spoiling anything so I'll just say the things I liked.

I loved that the events of the last two books have built up and had an effect on pip, and we see her struggle with PTSD which is something that's usually glossed over; and that Ravi remains the most supportive and loving boyfriend ever.

The narrative and story were quick paced and easy to follow, each turn of the page bringing something new while making callbacks to the first book and that the characters continued to grow and change instead of being stuck on one note.

I'm sad this is over now, but I feel full and complete, with nothing left open and everything wrapped up.

iliac_iris's review

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

it's like okay. Like I loved it, it affected me emotionally; but I low-key quit reading at some point when
Spoilerpip killed jason bell
. It was a good book, but probably 15+.